Mancora, Peru

General discussions about kiting in the Pacific Northwest - Seattle, Tacoma, Bellingham, the Puget Sound, and places nearby such as the Gorge, the Coast, and BC

Mancora, Peru

Postby eric » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:29 pm

Just got back from a week in Mancora, Peru. Insane.
Wind everyday from 11am till after 4.
Head high waves at the end of the week. 3.5 hour downwinders, super remote locations, zero crowds. money.
Awesome kiting, great food, great hotel, awesome people. Fun shit.
Highly recommended. Keep checking back here for pics and I will get a good write up going on how to get there and where to stay.

Travel on the cheap:
Fly into GYE (Equador) and take the 8 hr bus ride to Mancora. Take a taxi from GYE to CIFA international bus station and purchase a 1st class bus ticket to Mancora. Make sure you get your passport stamped at Custom in GYE, at the Equador immigration and the Peru immigration stops. When you get to Mancora take a mototaxi anywhere in Mancora. We ended up getting a private driver from GYE to Mancora because we read all the horror stories about the bus and the taxis. After seeing it all, I would take the bus for sure. Warning about this route: We almost got stranded in Peru as a Police strike in Equador closed the borders and highways. It was resolved before we left but could have been a costly change.

Travel on the easy: This is more expensive, but would be a more relaxing trip I think, and you don't have to cross a border.
Flight to Lima then fly with LAN to Piura (Pure-ah) then 2 hr taxi to mancora. This is a bit pricier as the flight to Lima was expensive. LAN flight $250USD, taxi to Mancora $100USD.

Money: Equador uses USD. Peru uses Nuevo Soles. $1USD = 2.8Soles. There are a few bank machines in Mancora, but if you get 100 soles make sure you get change from the national bank as it is very hard to buy stuff with bills bigger than 10Soles.

In Mancora: We stayed at Samana Chakra (http://www.samanachakra.com/). Ask for Johanna. It was about $100USD a night, but it was one of the most amazing places I have ever stayed. Right on the beach and the rooms were incredible. I have no other intel on other places, but the WaWa hotel in Mancora looked pretty nice. Samana Chakra is a bit out of town (7 min walk) but very quiet at night. In town, they party until 5 or 6 am some nights and it might be a bit louder.
image006.jpg
riding out front of hotel
image006.jpg (51.15 KiB) Viewed 5154 times

Kiteboarding:
Dead calm in the am until about 10:30am then you will be on a 12m until about 3pm then on a 9m until about 4.30. You can kite right out front of town and there is a nice left there to ride. Darice was also on her 6m in Cabo Blancio, so bring all your kites. Water temps in Mancora are warm. I wore boardies and a 2mm jacket and was perfect. It cools off if the clouds roll in, but nothing too bad. On the day trips I wish I had a 3/2 or even 4/3 full suit. The currents bring cold water with the wind. I had a 3mm shorty but wanted more to stay out longer. The wind on the day trips is also colder. Bring a hoodie for the ride home at night.

Day trips:
Organos - 1.5 hour downwinder from here.
Cabo Blancio - 30 mins out of town - 7m with a great left everyday from about noon to 4pm. 3.5 hour downwinder back to Mancora from here too.
image003.jpg
Cabo Blancio
image003.jpg (64.96 KiB) Viewed 5154 times

image005.jpg
Cabo Blancio lefts all day
image005.jpg (59.45 KiB) Viewed 5154 times

Tres Cruces - 1 hour out of town - 7m and great left
LoBitos - 1 1/2 hrs out of town - side off 7m wind with world class waves.
Best bet is Cabo Blancio as it is almost always windy there. Some of the taxis will actually take you to these places and wait for you to finish. We found Jose in town (his car has surf stickers on it). He took us to Cabo Blancio for $150soles and waited for us. We got him ceviche at Resto Cabo Blanco or go to the WaWa hotel and ask for Indigo or Poulo or Head to Peru Kitesurf find Rein - He also does day trips etc..
image004.jpg
Indigos car - loaded to the max
image004.jpg (65.46 KiB) Viewed 5154 times

(http://www.mancorakitesurf.com/instructor.php)
image002.jpg
Jose's taxi service
image002.jpg (56.12 KiB) Viewed 5154 times

We rented surfboards in town from Indigo for $10/day. If you break a surfboard (we broke two) or need parts (we needed three fins) go to Walters surf shop in town - he is great and cheap.

Eating. Make sure you try these places:
Tao
The restaurant with the mermaid in a cup on the sign
Chao Chao
The beef house

In town, food was no more than 40 to 50 soles each per night (~$20 usd) that was with multiple beers and the most amazing food yet. Also stay far away from the tap water and washed veggies. We had no issues, but were warned. Beer is about 5 soles for a quart so it is cheap

Nights were about perfect for jeans and long sleeves. I was in boardies and a hoodie and was perfect. Bring bug spray, if there is no breeze at night, the mosquitoes can get bad.
Last edited by eric on Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
eric
Resident Smartass

Re: Mancora, Peru

Postby DanielStoner » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:51 pm

PICS PICS PICS
- Member, Carkeek Swim Team
Sounder Nuketoberfest!!! 10/4/2008
DanielStoner
Former PSKite President

Postby brandon99 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:02 pm

Where did you fly into? Did you bus to the site or rent a vehicle? Pictures please. thanks, b
brandon99

Postby CC_Kiter » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:56 pm

I have heard great things about Peru, with all of it's left breaking waves.

Give us your version of where to stay and where to kite.
CC_Kiter

Postby eric » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:51 pm

Here are some more shots from the trip:
image008.jpg
TresCruces on the Taboo
image008.jpg (35.85 KiB) Viewed 5158 times

image007.jpg
Darcie getting ready to launch me - very matchy!
image007.jpg (60.84 KiB) Viewed 5158 times

image009.jpg
TresCruces
image009.jpg (49.75 KiB) Viewed 5158 times

image010.jpg
this aussie dude was ripping.
image010.jpg (49.98 KiB) Viewed 5158 times

image011.jpg
heading back from Cabo in the taxi
image011.jpg (54.4 KiB) Viewed 5158 times

if you have any other questions, hit me up, I will be happy to talk to you at length about my trip!

nice!
eric
Resident Smartass

Postby eric » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:54 pm

A few more shots:
Heading to LoBitos
image014.jpg
image014.jpg (32.92 KiB) Viewed 5156 times

image013.jpg
image013.jpg (46 KiB) Viewed 5156 times

some twin tip action too. I think I was the only one on the water with a twin tip and the only one in the country with boots. They asked me when the moon landing was going to be. :roll:
taboo 12m
image015.jpg
12m taboo
image015.jpg (24.94 KiB) Viewed 5156 times

image012.jpg
loop over the shore break
image012.jpg (31.54 KiB) Viewed 5156 times

Also, here is the shore break out front the day after I left. This means that Cabo Blancio, TresCruces and LoBitos would be probably double overhead!
image001.jpg
image001.jpg (25.05 KiB) Viewed 5138 times
Last edited by eric on Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eric
Resident Smartass

Postby Sick Nick » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:00 pm

Drool....lots of fun lefts....but where's the mirror image of this place?
Donate to KB4C: http://www.stayclassy.org/straplesssicknick
Nice digs: http://www.northwestriders.com/

<<< Go NEWT or Go Home >>>
Sick Nick

Postby theory » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:48 pm

dang.....kitelooping the shorebreak with boots... nice one bruva!

2016 Naish Park HD 10m
2016 Naish Pivot 12m & 8m
2015 Naish Dub w Ronix Parks
2015 Naish Skater 5'2

shop local!
theory
Canada's Worst Nightmare

Postby DanielStoner » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:50 pm

Eric,

What’s their peak windy season? I’m starting to think about places for the family to go for next summer. Peru is definitely on the list.

Daniel

P.S. What say you, Theory? ;)
- Member, Carkeek Swim Team
Sounder Nuketoberfest!!! 10/4/2008
DanielStoner
Former PSKite President

Postby darcie » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:49 pm

Daniel, there are two spots in peru, the north coast (where we were) and the south coast - Paracas, south of lima. From my research the best wind season for the north coast is end of September to beginning of December. Paracas is on in the spring, and I think lasts most of the year.

The North coast is waves, waves, waves. The only spot that offers something other than just waves is Mancora Bay, but there is still the beach break to get through, and it gets big swells kind of like DB. Paracas is flat water and sounds amazing too.

This was an amazing trip, challenging to say the least, but an amazing way to experience conditions that we don't get here!

Definitely take your entire quiver, I rode everything from a 12 to a 6. Also if you go, take base coat! No one had it, no one sold it, and you couldn't get wax to stay on the board (we took tons of wax, but not one stick of base coat). Take tropical wax no one has it and no rental board has enough on it. Next time, I'm taking putty repair too ;)
darcie
Board of Directors

Next

Return to General Kiteboarding Discussion