ALL THINGS JETTY

General discussions about kiting in the Pacific Northwest - Seattle, Tacoma, Bellingham, the Puget Sound, and places nearby such as the Gorge, the Coast, and BC

Re: ALL THINGS JETTY

Postby jeffh » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:49 pm

It was a late one. But Jetty came on strong with the typical sawtooth wind profile. It was over 20 for a while there when the winds quickly ramped on.
Always amazing how fast it often goes from glass flatwater to full throttle.
Glad I added our headlamp to the Jetty equipment list. It served as our kayak light on the nighttime trip back from the island to the marina.
jeffh

Postby jeffh » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:02 pm

Monday evening after work, we caught a nice, late, short Jetty session.

A funny (maybe not so funny) thing happened on the trip home after the session however.

Caroline left first with the kayaks in her car. I left the 10th street dock a few minutes later in my car. As I was about to get on I5 south at 41st street in Everett, I saw 2 homeless looking people on the sidewalk – a man and a woman. It was getting dark but I could see that the woman was holding her head as she was sitting on the sidewalk. The man was waving a stick or cane at cars, including mine, almost hitting cars as if he was trying to flag down a car.

It looked fishy. But maybe I am just cynical. Maybe the woman, unlikely, was actually hurt. Maybe Caroline (who may have stopped for gas) would be driving by after me. Maybe another kiter/friend would be by.

So I thought, just to make sure, I'd just continue driving a little ways, turn on the I5 onramp and pull over to call the cops so they can check it out. So I did. I pulled over, kept the car running and put the car in park. I had just set up my new phone on bluetooth in the car so after I had dialed 911, they were on the speaker and microphone of the car, fairly loud. I told them what I saw. The first 911 person transferred me to state patrol. I explained again what I saw and where I was located.

Did I mention that I thought I was far enough away from the couple (or scammers) and I thought my car doors were locked? Well neither was true. As I was continuing to talk to the second 911 person, my passenger door opens and in jumps the homeless looking woman. And she shuts the door.

“What the $%&@”

She starts exclaiming that that man back there raped her in the woods. I told her that I have 911 on the line. Now get out.

She then starts yelling “You're a rapist too. You're going to hell!”

I'm freaking out. “Now get out. The police are on their way”, I shout again.
I start thinking if she doesn't get out, I'm going to open my door and get away from this psychotic person.

She finally gets out though and then bangs on the back of my car as she walks back to 41st.

I lock the doors and drive a little farther and pull over again on the onramp.

911 is still on the line and on the car speaker. “Did you get all that?” I ask.

“Ya, we got it. A trooper is on the way.
You can go now. We'll call you if we need anything.”
jeffh

Postby Freeride » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:47 pm

Holy shit. Everett is dicey.
Freeride
Keekopotamus

Postby evh » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:20 am

Scamming the Good Samaritan ... it doesn't get much lower than that.
evh

Postby KiteOrDie425 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:41 am

Jettys going gangbusters!
JettyJoe
RRD kites
Axis boards
Mystic
KiteOrDie425

Postby mtown » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:52 am

Anyone going today? What's your assessment?
mtown

Postby PistolPete » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:41 pm

http://www.portofeverett.com/Home/ShowDocument?id=9433

In December 2016, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, in partnership with the Port of Everett as local sponsor, completed a $1.2 million dredging project in the lower Snohomish River. The project, which was completed by Portable Hydraulic Dredging, LLC. of Alaska, resulted in the placement of approximately 90,000 cubic yards of dredge sands on the west side of Jetty Island to enhance the shoreline and improve its habitat and recreational value.

The Port-owned Jetty Island is a man-made island formed by more than a century of placement of dredge materials from the Snohomish River. It began as a riprap jetty in the late-1800s and provided a protected harbor and navigation channel. The Port gained ownership of Jetty Island in 1929, and in 1989, with the help of the Corps, the Port built a protective berm on the Island’s west side, allowing for development of a highly productive saltmarsh/mudflat habitat.

Juvenile salmon, waterfowl and bald eagles are just a few examples of the wildlife currently living on Jetty Island. The Port and the Corps continue to use the clean sand resource generated by maintenance dredging in the Snohomish River to maintain and enhance the island’s wildlife habitat.

The Island is as educationally important as it is for summer recreation, serving as the perfect teaching tool regarding the importance of wildlife preservation. During Jetty Island Days (which runs annually, July 5 thru Labor Day) the City of Everett Parks Department offers several educational programs to learn about the local ecosystem. More than 50,000 people visit Jetty Island each year.

Placement where on the west side :scratch:
PistolPete

Postby CC_Kiter » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:11 pm

More room for beach goers and kite rigging????
CC_Kiter

Postby KiteOrDie425 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:51 am

Damn this smoke, forecast looks good tho.
JettyJoe
RRD kites
Axis boards
Mystic
KiteOrDie425

Previous

Return to General Kiteboarding Discussion