Idea: Snowkiting Section

Website news, improvements and issues

Idea: Snowkiting Section

Postby surfalki1 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:19 pm

I saw on BAK's website has its own section for snowkiting....http://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/foru ... m.php?f=19

It might be nice to have a section to post on snowkiting, spots, travel, conditions, gear, etc.
surfalki1

Re: Idea. Snowkiting Section

Postby Tuna » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:11 am

so all it take is one person to make a major change to our website? No vote? Not even a second post on this thread before the change was made? Not to mention that the idea came from somebody with 13 posts (no offense surfalki1). Lets slow down and make sure we are going in the right direction.

If this is how it is going to go down could you (one of the moderators) move all my Snowkite posts to the new spot.

I hate to do alot of bitching and whining but I never thought our site was in need of a major overhaul. There is something to be said for having a clean user interface. Look at googles website. clean and uncluttered and no bullshit.

just my ImageImage
Have you tugged your kite today?
Tuna
I make heavy things float

Postby Tuna » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:18 am

I do not want to end up like this: http://fksa.org/
Tuna

Postby C.J. » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:33 am

danthetuna wrote:so all it take is one person to make a major change to our website? No vote? Not even a second post on this thread before the change was made? Not to mention that the idea came from somebody with 13 posts (no offense surfalki1). Lets slow down and make sure we are going in the right direction.

If this is how it is going to go down could you (one of the moderators) move all my Snowkite posts to the new spot.

I hate to do alot of bitching and whining but I never thought our site was in need of a major overhaul. There is something to be said for having a clean user interface. Look at googles website. clean and uncluttered and no bullshit.

just my ImageImage

Dan has a good point. maybe there should be a 1-2wk long poll with a simple like/dislike vote option on all new sections or changes.

don't want to end up being one of these ;)
Attachments
logo3.png
logo3.png (25.75 KiB) Viewed 2780 times
C.J.
Officer of Bad Ideas, Mayor of Warshentowkneean

Postby DanielStoner » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:34 am

I think there are two issues: (1) Changing the forum, (2) and the process of changing the board.

Regarding # 1, the changes up to this point (excluding the Snowkiting forum) are intended to make a simpler, more functional user experience. I think that has been accomplished, and in fact has made it less cluttered. The bulk has been done so I don't see the need to make any other significant changes for a while.

Regarding # 2, the process the BOD has articulated is to (a) discuss and approve any significant changes (prior to them going live), (b) test them on a separate test site, and (c) have them go live. The Snowkiting sub-forum was put up without following that procedure and will be removed until a decision by the BOD is made.
- Member, Carkeek Swim Team
Sounder Nuketoberfest!!! 10/4/2008
DanielStoner
Former PSKite President

Postby C.J. » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:46 am

what Daniel is saying even sounds a bit overkill....I'm constantly reminded of how long it takes to try and do an ECN (engineering change notice) at the office i work for. paperwork, over checking and all that stuff can make the change process so time consuming and painful for the person driving it that nothing ever actually happens.

is there maybe a happy medium?

I really like the idea of doing a pre-development poll post with a yes/no vote to a question if a change should be made. and then a post development poll of do you like/dislike the new work.

not sure if the current forum supports polls though or if that is something that can even be added without too much difficulty. maybe we need to take a poll on the idea of having polls? :lol:
C.J.
Officer of Bad Ideas, Mayor of Warshentowkneean

Postby Tuna » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:05 am

nwsurfwakeskate wrote:maybe we need to take a poll on the idea of having polls? :lol:
I hope there is a happy medium. I know how you feel Christian, with respect to ECN's. At work, sometimes I wish a had a machete to cut through all the red tape.
Tuna

Postby DanielStoner » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:08 am

Good thoughts, Christian. Any significant changes to the forum would include input from our community, in some form.
- Member, Carkeek Swim Team
Sounder Nuketoberfest!!! 10/4/2008
DanielStoner
Former PSKite President

Postby Loki » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:26 am

Polls have been there all along. When you create a new topic, there's a "poll creation" option at the bottom.

As far as creating subforums go, there's a happy medium there as well. http://fksa.org/ is overkill, but a single forum for everything is obviously too simple. Everyone's going to have a different opinion of where the middle ground is.
PSKite Site Admin / Developer
Windhunter Android App Developer
Loki
PSKite Magician

Postby surfalki1 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:27 pm

Wow! :(

Just wanted to share the stoke for snow! And that I have way easier ways to get to the goods than Gayiotrope Ridge mission.

I guess this is my 14th post...not that anyone is counting!
surfalki1

Next

Return to Website Development and News