Chicken Loop Release and Reassembely

Chicken Loop Release and Reassembely

Postby BellinghamKite » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:09 pm

Regardless of the type or brand of safety system you have (5th, reride, etc), every modern kite will have a releasable chickenloop. If you don't have this.. stop reading and go get one ASAP...

But still

Condider the following questions...

Can you pull your chickenloop safety with your eyesclosed?

Could you pull it while spinning in a circle?

If your hands are numb, are you able to eject?

Do you know how your chicken loop goes back together? (many are not as common sense as you'd think)

Have you ever checked your chicken loop release under load?

Did you check your chicken loop for wear and tear before you hooked in?

Could sand (or rust.. or salt.. or whatever) be making your loop more difficult or impossible to release?

Do you have a plan for getting out of your Chicken Loop if your quick release fails?

No matter what type of safety you have... make sure you know how it works..and be sure that it will work before you head out...
http://www.kitepaddlesurf.com
Blade Kites- Liquid Force - Slingshot
BellinghamKite

Re: Chicken Loop Release and Reassembely

Postby Jeffro1 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:29 pm

This is probably the single most important piece of equipment to consider in your first or any equipment purchase, IMO. This is something our training program promotes intensely; choose a good safety release and know it well! I have seen many ck lp release systems in the past that are not centrally located and often difficult to locate in an emergency. Others that require a set of tools and your teeth to reload (not ideal in the water). To echo Andy's points, consider your release system and know how it works and reloads. Check it each time before and after a session, many are getting better at not holding sand inside and able to self-flush/ drain easily. But equally important is having the experience to recognize what is happening or about to happen at the other end. Be familiar with how your kite should or shouldn't depower once the safety is released. This is understanding not just how your release works but how your entire safety system works. It is great to practice this in shallow water with lots of space and preferably side/ side-onshore wind while also working on water relaunching techniques before you take it to the deeper waters, where often more is on the line if something goes wrong.

Side note; there is a great article in the latest issue of "The Kiteboarder" Magazine (Feb 08) that talks about how to deal with 13 of the most common KiteMares... Check it out!
Jeffro1

Postby bix » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:37 am

Something that I do almost every time I ride is to release and reconnect my chicken loop safety system to make sure that it is clear of sand and is working. By "exercising" your safety system you will know how it works and you will be confident that it will work for you if you need it.
make it happen

doug bixel

CrazyFly
bix

Postby rodeo clown » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:48 pm

Practice releasing your chicken loop the way a gunslinger practices how to fast draw.
In fact I command you all to do this! "Plankton" is not kidding this time!
It will keep you from getting yarded when a high wind self launch goes wrong, or if the s**t hits the fan on the water and you are totally dis-oriented. 2 seconds is too long. Also, make darn sure that last connection, the leash release, is just as familiar too. Your life is worth so much more than a kite.
Thats why I prefer a omni-directional collar system over a finger pull system, any hand can grab it quickly.
I was dragged at high speed across lake washington once by a jammed leash attached to the back of my harness, where I couldn't reach it, and I was ready to hit the rocks and get thrown though a tree when thankfully my kite impaled it self on a tree just out of my field of vision. I was left dazed and in shock, just inches from the breakwater.
It took a couple weeks before I had enough guts to go out again, and that near fatal lesson is always on the back of my mind.
harvesting seattle's winds since 1982
http://www.urbansurf.com/
http://www.naishkites.com/
rodeo clown
Yeeee-whoooo!

Return to New to Kiting / Safety