Kiteboarding questions

Kiteboarding questions

Postby GigHarborChristina » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:39 pm

Hi, I live in the Kitsap County/Pierce County area and have been wanting to try kiteboarding for years now. I am not a spring chicken, though, am in my 40s, but in pretty good shape. I used to slalom waterski and kneeboard a lot as a kid and have done a variety of outdoor activities over my years (but not skurfing). I have a few questions about kiteboarding.

1. What parts of the body is kiteboarding hardest on?
2. Is it possible to teach yourself?
3. If not, where is the closest place to Tacoma or Bremerton to take lessons?
4. What equipment do I need? I am female, 5'6", about 180, but strong/muscular (former college rower, know how to take a beating).

Thanks for your help!

Christina
GigHarborChristina

Re: Kiteboarding questions

Postby eric » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:34 am

Hi Christina!

You will love it, with your background in activities, you will have no problem. No worries about age, there is a dude in Hood River who kites and is 73! You will be fine.
Answers to your questions:
1) I would say the part of your body that takes the most abuse is your ribs, haha. Arms don't have to work too hard since you have a harness, your legs get a good workout, but is manageable. Ribs when you crash hurt most, but in a good way, you know?
2) Yes, but HIGHLY recommended that you take lessons. For a couple of reasons. 1) it can be dangerous to yourself to have that kite pulling you around on the beach through all the driftwood and rocks if you don't know what you are doing 2) it makes the kiting community look bad if someone shows up to the beach not knowing what they are doing. Lots of times you will get asked to leave if you look or act dangerous.
3) Lessons will cure all this:
There are lots of places that teach lessons around here. Urban Surf, theKiteLesson and there is a guy at Jones beach who teaches. Other will weigh in on this as I am sure I am missing some.
4) Depending on when you start during the year you will need at least one kite & bar, wetsuit, harness and board. For your lessons, I would recommend getting a nice wetsuit 4/3mm, some booties, gloves and a hood. The place you take your lessons will have the rest of the gear you will need. Once you take some lessons, you can decide what else you will need. My current gear quiver is three kites, one bar one board. I ride all year round.

Also, if you see kites on the water, head down there and talk to them. We are always more than happy to discuss our passion and those people will be your new best friends anyway, so you might as well meet them sooner than later.
good luck and see you on the water.
eric
Resident Smartass

Return to New to Kiting / Safety