newbie looking for buddies

newbie looking for buddies

Postby dlibfrom » Fri May 01, 2015 10:35 pm

I am new to kiting and a bit nervous about my first solo sessions. Are there any other newbies that are looking for moral support? I took lessons in Hawaii and La Ventana but have yet to hit the Puget Sound. I was out at Jetty watching all the experienced folks crushing it today but was leery to venture out without some moral support. I can easily water start and am trying to improve my upwind skill. I hope to spend most of the windy days in May and June at Jetty Island but would also be interested in hitting Damon point. Anybody else in the same mode?
dlibfrom

Re: newbie looking for buddies

Postby snow4boarding » Tue May 05, 2015 1:52 pm

Hey dlibfrom, I took a couple lessons back in Boise, ID a year ago (3 times in snow, 1 time in water) and I really want to get back into it! Especially after watching people kite in Hawaii. Let me know if/when you're going out! I need to get a new board as I smashed mine pretty hard trying to use it to river surf (don't ask)...
snow4boarding

Postby dlibfrom » Wed May 06, 2015 9:19 am

This weekend's weather is looking good for Jetty. I'm planning to head out there on Friday. Maybe we could have a newbie support group gathering this weekend.
dlibfrom

Postby cconvis » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:24 pm

I too am very much so new to kiting. I'm trying to get to the body dragging stage. I would love to get together with anyone for help and support
cconvis

Postby cconvis » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:24 pm

**Unsure if my other reply ever made it through, so attempt no. 2**

I too am brand new to kiting... at the stage of body dragging essentially. I am looking for people to hang out with and learn some more of the ropes. (I'll launch/land your kites and take pics of you...)

I was anticipating on taking some lessons here but scheduling with instructors for me is difficult.

In addition, i am pretty new to Seattle, lived here for about a year now.
cconvis

Postby mreitsma » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:57 pm

Hey Everyone!

I'm new to the Seattle kite scene, and am looking forward to riding with and meeting other kiters. I have equipment, but I don't have a car, so I'd love to meet some people to carpool. I'm intermediate (staying upwind, transitioning), so I'm happy to help people newer to the sport.

PM me if you want to link up!

Marissa
mreitsma

Postby pdaniels » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:35 am

No question the best thing to do for new kiters in Seattle area is to take a lesson from Urban Surf or The Kite Lesson. After taking a lesson, or a few, try to meet or identify a mentor, an experienced kiter willing to have an ongoing dialouge with new kiter to answer detailed questions and give ongoing advice. Also try to link up with a kiter(s) at your level and form a learning group. Buy good, modern equipment, learn the safety system!

Go to Jetty Island during summer on windy days with a goal of introducing yourself as a new kiter to other kiters. Normally most people happy to help. Get to know people and start to learn from them, meet other kiters at your ability level, establish peer kiter(s) to team up with and support each other.

Summary - Take a lesson(s), watch online kite progression videos, get a kite mentor, kite with peers at your level and support each other, kite as much as you can on consequetive or closely coupled days to link learning steps = Fastest, most effective progression.
pdaniels
Board of Directors

Postby jesjox » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:17 pm

Im down to go!
jesjox

Postby dlibfrom » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:16 pm

Jesjox, welcome to the site. It looks like Wednesday afternoon at Jetty island could be a potential; NOAA says it should be WNW winds at 13 mph from 11:00 on. do you have a boat to get across to jetty yet?
dlibfrom

Return to New to Kiting / Safety