2015 Liquid Force Envy

Please make all commercial, shop and industry postings here (no classfied ads!)

2015 Liquid Force Envy

Postby jason » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:38 pm

I've only been out on this once now, so I'll update this when I've had more time on it.

This is a very biased review- I love the Envy.

I first rode an Envy 4 years ago and they immediately felt like an old friend. Not too much bar pressure but I always new where it was, I never had to worry about backstall, they weren't the highest jumpers but they were super consistent and easy to jump, or the best through loops due to their low aspect design, but they did everything better than most. Great in waves, great for wakestyle, great on snow, and great at eating up gusty winds and letting me concentrate on kiteboarding, not kite-flying.

This year's Envy has changed significatnly from my 2013 Envy's. The biggest change I have noticed so far is a result of the direct rear connections to the wingtips instead of the pully's on the older kites. This makes them much more responsive, which is not bad in my opinion, but is also something to get used to. I noticed the kite kept creeping up on my during strapless airs where my other kite would stay put, i must have been putting some minor pressure on the bar that wasn't enough to make the old kite move, but does affect the 2015's. One big benefit was the direct rear connections also seemed to make the kite more responsive when I had the depower sheeted all the way in. My older kites would lose some of the control as they were flying off the front lines so much, not so with the 2015's.

Another change was going away from the diamond wing tips last year to a more swept wingtip, both kites have amazing relaunch and i didn't notice a difference.

The leading edge and struts are also much thinner but i was overpowered in punchy wind the whole time riding this so i can't say i noticed. I may notice the weight more when I pack for Baja though, every pound counts.

Speaking of, I'm heading to Ventana on the 28th so hopefully i'll get some more time on this kite, but so far I think its a big step forward with the envy, they kept the easy feel of the kite and added some performance ... I can't wait to loop this thing!!

http://kitepaddlesurf.com/2015-Liquid-F ... 158064.htm
http://liquidforcekites.com/product/kites/envy/
jason

Re: 2015 Liquid Force Envy

Postby jason » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:25 pm

Forgot to mention, the bag is better and simpler, but its super loud material and there is no top pocket for the repair kit, no place to put your wet bar except in with your dry kite, and no straps for strapping your kiteboard to your pack.

LF's continued inability to design a decent pack is laughable... but it looks good i guess and who really cares; I'd rather have this kite in a pillowcase than some of the other kites I've flown recently in Louie Vutton
jason

Postby C.J. » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:58 pm

so is it audibly loud or just painfully bright colors? :)

I'm imaging something super crinkly right now like cellophane or something. lol
C.J.
Officer of Bad Ideas, Mayor of Warshentowkneean

Postby jason » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:42 pm

You know I'm not afraid of bright colors... it is audibly loud. Its like storing your kite in a potato chip bag. Seems like its great quality and interesting material, but every time I pack my kite up I think, "damn that's loud." :D
jason

Postby Lazy Kiter » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:01 pm

I
Last edited by Lazy Kiter on Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Should have gone
Lazy Kiter

Postby mxwllms » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:03 pm

So I wanted to add my input on the 2015 liquid force envy assuming this is a free for all back and forth discussion sort of thread? Please let me know if my review is unwanted and i will delete it, no worries.
I have ridden the 12m three times and the 8m twice. first of all The bag is definately audibly loud and crunchy with no useful pockets but it is nice in the way that it dosent absorb any water and wont stink or get mildewy.This makes me love the bag!
As for the Kites the first thing i noticed was the inpresive build quality and how well they can take a beating and not have any failures as we have come to expect in recent years with liquid force. Then there is the more responsive turning. this is a huge jump forward as far as i'm concerned, i found the 2014s to be so dull and unresponsive i thought it was a boring kite to fly and felt way too beginer oriented but the 2015s are definately a little bit more lively but still very tame and easy to handle. They still have a pretty good low end but (just like last year) in the lower end of the kites range they are more prone to backstalling than other kites of the same size, so some trimming is required. the 8m is easier to handle overpowered than last years small sizes. It must fly a bit more forward in the window due to its smaller diamiter leading edge?? You do sacrifice a little bit of stability tho, In gusty conditions the 8m was tending to surge forward and fall more than previous years in similar conditions BUT its still more than stable enough and its nothing to be worried about because if the kite does fall it relaunches at least as well as any other kite i have flown. A lot of people ask how it jumps and unhooks. the jumping ability is just what you would expect for a low aspect kite, floaty but not high, and unchanged from previous years. And unhooked they are controlled and predictable when properly trimmed. the depower does give you some extra confidence when trying new tricks but it is difficult to find much in the way of slack after you pop... it just pulls and pulls and pulls some more.
In conclusion, I think that these kites are going to be great for progressing at the beginer to intermediate level due to its ease of use and easy relaunch. But its a kite that does everything okay and nothing in particular really well (except relaunch and i cant talk for surf) I REALLY expected and wanted to love the envy after hearing all of the hype this year... it just isn't a fun standout like so many other kites out there and it didnt fit the bill for my riding style. I know that a lot of people want a friendly and non aggressive kite that is just super user friendly and will never scare you. If thats what you like, you will love the new envy.
These are just my opinions, and an honest review from my personal point of view. You really need to try one for yourself to see what you think.
mxwllms

Postby jason » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:01 am

Thanks for the honest review!

Interesting point on the bag, I hadn't thought about the water absorption.

I didn't notice and instability or backstall when i was out, but it was only one session and I only unhooked a couple times while I was on a surfboard and the kite seemed to drift well when i carved toward the kite.

My priorities going with this kite in the 9m (vs. my past C kites in this size) is for easier relaunch especially in waves and user friendly performance unhooked for my mediocre bag of wake style tricks. Turning speed and jumping are low priority for me. In the past LF has been really good about backstall so I'll be interested to get more time on it in LV, specifically in regards to the backstall and slack (which I always thought were related)
jason

Postby mxwllms » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:31 pm

Im glad you appreciated my review! Take a look at the review REAL kiteboarding did on youtube. Its one of those overly positive "i sell these kites" reviews but he comments on the fact that it dosent fly well when fully sheeted in (wants to backstall) when on the standard flying knot setting and you can see it stall during turns while he is riding it. but you can obviously just pull in some depower at the cleat and solve the problem. Backstall and slack are related but its more about the kites efficiency and at what point durring your flight through the air, towards the kite, it will stall. oversheeted kites stall too soon and you cant get a propper pop and the kite wont recover well after landing... Depending on the kites shape and angle of attack, when you have the aerodynamic efficiency to get the forward speed and pop you need, the kite is too efficient to create a stalling effect or slack after you pop and there is very little middle ground.
anyways i was just talking to a buddy who said it took him a while to get used to the new envy but he LOVES them now. So i will keep at it and maybe have them figured out pretty soon altho i think they are just not suited to my style. I'm looking forward to hearing what you think after some more time riding them, im sure you will be stoked! Have a good time on your trip and post up some pics to lively up the fourm!
mxwllms

Postby jason » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:25 am

I did notice that they went away from the regular and light wind knot settings, but still have three knots. I still had mine on the knot farthest from the kite so maybe that helped.
jason

Postby jason » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:57 am

Just checked out the Real website and noticed this:

Real Kiteboarding wrote:Insider Info:
For 2015, Liquid Force has altered who the standard setting is for. Traditionally the standard setting was tuned so you can unhook with the kite. This meant that you were getting full power with the bar all the way sheeted in and would cause you to ride with your arms bent and the bar pulled all the way in to the chicken loop. On the 2015 Envy, the standard setting is designed to ride with straight arms so the bar is farther away from you. This makes the standard setting better suited for your every day rider. Use the trailing edge knot all the way away from the kite if you want the 2015 Envy to be tuned like the 2014.

Have you tried it on the lower knot setting?
jason

Next

Return to Commercial