Ocean Rodeo Soul Drysuit Review

Please make all commercial, shop and industry postings here (no classfied ads!)

Ocean Rodeo Soul Drysuit Review

Postby Undem » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:23 am

2014 fall season I started using the soul. The last three previous winters I was wearing a NPX 6/5 hooded with a kite specific "windbreaker" outer jacket on sub 42F days. I've had 7 days kiting so far in the soul so I thought a review was in order. I chose the soul over the Ion suit because I wanted the lightest unobstructed feel. Iwas concerned The Soul would be colder than the Ion, I have always been toasty in the soul. I didn't want the stink of polypropylene so I chose to buy smart wool underwear ( ouch! Expensive stuff) but amazing warm, soft, and wicking. The soul is like kiting in your pajamas, light and unobstructed. I can't imagine returning to a thick heavy wetsuit, I feel like I'm cheating the weather! I was exactly between a large and medium, I chose Large to have room for layering. I've found I don't need the layering, medium would have been fine/large is fine. I had concerns the seals would be bothersome, I don't even notice them. I'm way more comfortable, I'm warm between sessions. Falling, body dragging, swimming - compared to a wetsuit the only difference is I'm now dry. The suite doesn't leak - even when I get slammed. That is not to say I'm totally dry. I am usually damp with sweat. The first three days I kited the outside air temp was near 60F. I was very damp from sweat. On days near 50F I sweated much less. Yesterday I was out from 10:30- 4:30 at Damon, frost on the ground when I started and somewhere in the low 40's at the end. This was the first day I wore a second shirt layer- didn't need it, I have found sometimes I bob in the water for a while to cool down. The suit does breath, I do notice the sweat wicks away. But, a little dampness is nothing! I wish I would have gone "dry" years ago! Construction is tuff, zippers easy and smooth, a pee zip! Deluxe!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (616.91 KiB) Viewed 864 times
2017 North Neo 6/9m
Celeritas 5;10' / SS Alien Air
Undem

Re: Ocean Rodeo Soul Drysuit Review

Postby stringy » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:49 pm

great looking suit undem!
I recently got the Heat which is a "stripped-down" version of the soul.
I saved a little bit by not having the hood, pockets, harness zipper and pee zip. other than that, its an identical drysuit.
OR has been at it for a long time and now have the most thought out zipper of any suit.
this suit goes on with ease, and with the new design of the over jacket section,it can be worn without the neck gaiter, making it a no brainer to get dressed in it before leaving the house.

I've been out in the upper 30's with this suit and it's held up well, even with ice forming on the legs

stringy
There's a Mount for That

Return to Commercial