NP cold weather gear looks awesome

Please make all commercial, shop and industry postings here (no classfied ads!)

Re: NP cold weather gear looks awesome

Postby Freeride » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:07 am

IslandKiter wrote:I just ordered the np 3 finger gloves. I will post when I try them out. My normal set up wasn't working with air Temps in the 30s and low 40s.

Where did you get the NP 3 finger gloves from? I read good reviews on them but can't find them locally. The guy at Urban Surf told me they are discontinuing the NP stuff and would prefer to order me the Dakine lobsters...I don't want those.
Freeride
Keekopotamus

Postby C.J. » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:27 am

looks like mackiteboarding.com has them.

I put an email into our local CAB / NP rep to see if he knows of a source in the NW.
C.J.
Officer of Bad Ideas, Mayor of Warshentowkneean

Postby bigsteve » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:29 am

I find this to be an interesting topic. When I need truly cold weather gear for kiting, I turn to the guys that make top notch surfing protection (oneill, Ripcurl, billa, etc). If I can stay warm surfing in a suit for 2+ hours this time of year in washington, I can count on being absolutely toasty for kiting. I guess the downside is that I don't have any bitchen colors.

A lot of people seem to swear by those hoodies, but I have always been turned off by them (I have not tried them). My opinion is that while I hear they cut the wind down and make kiting warmer, it just seems like a liability. I don't like the idea of loose fitting bulky items. In the event you ditch your kite and have to swim in the hoodie seems like nothing but problems, from my outsiders perspective. Since its not form fitting its not going to retain heat in the water, and its going to act like a sea anchor while swimming. If it doesn't keep me warm when the poo hits the fan, I don't want to take it on the water with me.

Bear in mind, this is coming from a guy that recently decided he wants to switch to a seat harness, or at least try it for riding with a surfboard. I am curious if lower pull point, not not riding up will be a bonus.
Too many sponsors to list...
Too many brands to rep...
bigsteve

Postby Freeride » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:45 am

C.J. wrote:looks like mackiteboarding.com has them.

I put an email into our local CAB / NP rep to see if he knows of a source in the NW.

Thanks CJ.
Freeride
Keekopotamus

Postby Brian » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:39 am

"recently decided he wants to switch to a seat harness"...CJ, seat harnesses(at least Dakine) have come a long way. A few years ago, they felt very constricting, now they have really freed the movement of the legs up. So if you have back/rib issues and cant use the waste harness, they have improved a lot. But, you still wont have the lower waste freedom as in a waste harness.
I like the seat harness also for the reason it brings the bar to a lower position than the waste does.
Body dragging isnt as good. with the lower pull point, you are not as efficient for body dragging. And i'm sticking to that reasaon, not that i suck at it :lol:
When you try one, just make sure its a newer model.
Brian

Postby C.J. » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:20 pm

bigsteve wrote:I find this to be an interesting topic. When I need truly cold weather gear for kiting, I turn to the guys that make top notch surfing protection (oneill, Ripcurl, billa, etc). If I can stay warm surfing in a suit for 2+ hours this time of year in washington, I can count on being absolutely toasty for kiting. I guess the downside is that I don't have any bitchen colors.

A lot of people seem to swear by those hoodies, but I have always been turned off by them (I have not tried them). My opinion is that while I hear they cut the wind down and make kiting warmer, it just seems like a liability. I don't like the idea of loose fitting bulky items. In the event you ditch your kite and have to swim in the hoodie seems like nothing but problems, from my outsiders perspective. Since its not form fitting its not going to retain heat in the water, and its going to act like a sea anchor while swimming. If it doesn't keep me warm when the poo hits the fan, I don't want to take it on the water with me.

Bear in mind, this is coming from a guy that recently decided he wants to switch to a seat harness, or at least try it for riding with a surfboard. I am curious if lower pull point, not not riding up will be a bonus.

the hoodie does slow you down a bit in body dragging and I would imagine it makes swimming harder too. it does however add bouyancy. I've had my hoodie for a few years and I just really like that its easy to pull on and take off and it doesn't really constrict movement the way a tight fitting thick suit would. I've had many times where I start a session with the hoodie on and take it off and toss it on the beach mid session after I've warmed up. It also helps if you start to cool off after a break to throw it on for an added layer. (something that you can't do nearly as easily with base layers or different suits) Its not a substitute for a cold weather survival suit but for those who aren't going to invest in such a thing it helps make the cold days sting a little less. :)

Maybe think of a hoodie as similar to having a lite wind board to extend the range of a smaller kite where as a thicker suit might be like rigging a bigger kite for the lighter days. :P
C.J.
Officer of Bad Ideas, Mayor of Warshentowkneean

Postby Freeride » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:42 pm

I love my hoodie too, but have yet to kite in it. I use it on the beach and when I come back to the beach - it's a great piece of winter gear and keeps you warm on the ferry too.
Freeride
Keekopotamus

Previous

Return to Commercial