kiting tips

General discussions about kiting in the Pacific Northwest - Seattle, Tacoma, Bellingham, the Puget Sound, and places nearby such as the Gorge, the Coast, and BC

kiting tips

Postby ScottR » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:59 pm

I've been thinking for awhile that it would be helpful to have a dedicated thread to offer up tips on any aspect of kiting. This forum is great for hearing about peoples sessions and stoke, new gear reviews, and great kiting destinations. It should also be a great resource for learning something new at any level of experience, and there is a wealth of experience out there to take advantage of. Tips of any kind would be appreciated like equipment tweaks and mods, or any kiting techniques from day one to advanced tricks, that will help people progress and hopefully be safe. I hope people would feel comfortable posting questions on this thread too.
So I will offer the first tip on this thread Awhile back there was a kitemare post and the ensuing replies brought up ways to bring your kite down on your own in strong winds. I mentioned that grabbing the front lines has worked very well for me with my particular kite brand so I have taken a quick video showing it. The way I do it now involves taking off the safety and some people may object to that, and wouldn't blame them. My reasoning is that if I walk up the kite lines while dragging the bar along behind me it can create a potentially dangerous situation if for some reason the kite gets away from me and powers up with all that slack. Having said that I have been practicing this on the desolate windswept beaches of Whidbey with no one around to get hurt and I have had no difficulty managing my kite by its front lines alone. I have now done it many times in overpowering conditions with 100% success. The key to it is maintaining an even pull on the lines so that the kite stays in the C position at the edge of the wind window. I slide my hands up the front lines, one in front of the other (not hand over hand), if one side has more line out then the other I just pull in that side with my back hand, while holding both with my front hand, to even them up.

http://youtu.be/ywgSp-9TgFI
ScottR

Re: kiting tips

Postby ScottR » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:15 pm

Having just posted this I now realize that it may be redundant and "Kiting tips" could fall in the category "New to kiting/safety ". I have to admit that since I am not new to kiting I rarely look at that section. I wonder if other kiters who aren't new to the sport are missing out on good info there. Could there be justification for a new section?
ScottR

Postby Freeride » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:33 pm

What happens if that kite gets a gust from another direction while you're going up the lines? Are you sure it can't power up like that? I assume if it did you would simply lose the kite as long as no lines catch you with the bar going past.

It just makes me super nervous to see unclipping that safety before the kite is all the way down. Granted you said you're the only one around and I get this. It just seems the same thing can be done safer with a caribiener assuming there is something to tie off on.
Freeride
Keekopotamus

Postby srch4wind » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:20 pm

I do like exploring more ways to self land and self launch. I think having a full arsenal of methods keeps you safer. If you have a caribiner on a log setup, have a backup plan because it may not be there when you get back. I have some reservations with this method, not that I won't try it! I've had my kite tethered to a log, and on two separate occasions had it lift up shoot past noon and crash on the other side of the wind window. So if that had happened while using this method..well hopefully I just lose the kite and the lines don't wrap around anything as it takes off. But on an uncrowded beach with steady wind..I see this as a great option.
srch4wind

Postby ScottR » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:48 pm

Yeah I used to do the log method and had the same thing happen once and another time one of the lines caught some driftwood and sent the kite into death loops. Remember that on the caribiner you still have four line kite pull
Experiment, the next time your kite is attached to the log grab the front lines and you will see that there is virtually no
Power in the kite. And since you're holding both sides of the front there's no spin either
ScottR

Postby srch4wind » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:51 pm

Good point..it seems like a good way to do a first attempt at this method
srch4wind

Postby HotLaunch » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:33 pm

Scott taught me this method of self landing recently. I still consider myself a 'new kiter' and now use this method exclusivley for landing my kites unless someone else is around. I've landed my kites in 25+ mph winds multiple times using this method with no issues at all. Like Scott said, there is virtually no power in the kite doing it this way. It also seems to be very gentile on the kite, no need to 'crash' the kite like I have seen others do when self landing. I previously tried the 'log' method and was never confident in it. This is a breeze, give it a try.
Bryan

2013 North 14m Vegas
2015 North 10m Vegas
2014 North 7m Vegas

2014 Blade 9m Trigger
2014 Blade 7m Trigger
2013 Blade 5m Trigger

2011 Cabrinha Caliber 136
2015 Slingshot Screamer 5'4"
2016 North TeamSeries 138

2015 Cloud C.2 12m
2016 Dwarf Craft 42 + Hoverglide
HotLaunch

Postby moonwolf » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:47 am

I have my dog run up bite kite put a hole in kite depowering kite 100%
moonwolf

Postby Freeride » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:49 am

Good to hear about the "up & over" issues with the caribiner method...always good to hear about possibilities I haven't seen. These are four line kites, but I've found with 5th line kites that simply pulling in the 5th line hand over hand seems to keep things mellow in a self-land situation even when overpowered a bit.
Freeride
Keekopotamus

Return to General Kiteboarding Discussion