ALL THINGS JETTY

General discussions about kiting in the Pacific Northwest - Seattle, Tacoma, Bellingham, the Puget Sound, and places nearby such as the Gorge, the Coast, and BC

Re: ALL THINGS JETTY

Postby drummist » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:07 pm

Thank you to whoever found my board in the rollers today and brought it back to me. Once it was more than 10' away, I couldn't see it anymore. Maybe it's time to start looking into some sort of flag system.
drummist

Postby evh » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:46 pm

jeffh wrote:And Mr. Z, you have to transport yourself to the island of the Jedi (some people pronounce it Jetty).
The ferry (not usually used by kiteboarders) doesn't start running until July 5th. It's a teeny-tiny ferry. Only holds 60 people and there is usually a wait.
Most of us use an inflatable kayak. Some use a SUP. Others a motorboat. A few rappel in by chopper.
Read up on the kite beaches section (upper right link on this page) about the island.
The channel to cross is only a 150 meters or so. But it is deep, cold, and often has a swift current that will go either direction depending on the tide. And at this latitude we usually have 12+ foot tide swings as we will this Saturday.
Be smart. Be safe. Wear your PFD.

Jeff makes an interesting point about tides and latitude, at least in the Northern Hemisphere. Here is some random text from a Google search on the topic:

That many of the areas of the world with high ranges of tides are in the areas of Alaska, Canada, and northern Europe has created a misconception that the range of tide increases with increasing latitude (as one moves farther from the equator and closer to the poles). This is incorrect.

Increased tidal ranges in these areas are created by the positions and configurations of the continents in the northern hemisphere. In the higher latitudes of the northern hemisphere, the continents of North America, Europe, and Asia are pressed closer together. This “constriction” of the oceans creates the effect of a higher range of tides.

In the higher latitudes of the southern hemisphere, in the southern tips of South America, southern Africa, Australia, and Antarctica, tidal ranges are not increased. In these areas the continents are not pressed closely together, there is not a “constriction” of the oceans, and the tidal ranges are not increased.
evh

Postby jeffh » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:57 am

Robert, Bobby and others, retrieved my board plenty of times when I was a bit new. I’m still in debt to the karma bank for that and have a lot to repay.
A good tip to try is when you crash, immediately start body dragging up wind. That’s where your board is. And make sure you have your name and number on it as backup.

I looked up that same tide thing Edward. I have been thinking about why does Hawaii have such wimpy tides - only 2 to 3 ft tide swings while we have 12+ every day. It is just the way the landmasses funnel the water in certain regions that happen to be in the upper latitudes in the northern hemisphere.
I have always wanted to visit the Bay of Fundy in Canada which has 50 to 60 ft tide swings. Boaters need to be really careful on how they moor their boats to fixed docks.
phpBB [video]

That's all for the learning channel for now. Jetty was another great one yesterday evening. This June has been crazy good. No need to drive to Hood River yet.
jeffh

Postby jeffh » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:12 am

Well one had to be patient last night at the Jetty. I counted 50 kites up at one point in the late afternoon for the light wind session. Then most of the gang had to vamoose for Saturday night dates or family time with the kids. All important things. But then the winds came up from about 7 to 9 PM. Just the way it goes sometimes. Happy Solstice. Happy Father’s Day.
jeffh

Postby JuliaLieberman » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:45 am

my family and I are providing a boat shuttle service for the NYKA event as well!
JuliaLieberman

Postby Wanna-Go » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:26 am

How easy is it to get a ride back n fourth to Jetty? Still eye balling for an inflatable kayak, looking into a Sea Eagle 370 but reluctant until I'm hooked on Jetty. But today looks like its worth Thumbing for a lift!
So Stoked
Wanna-Go

Postby IslandKiter » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:50 am

Quote... A good tip to try is when you crash, immediately start body dragging up wind. That’s where your board is. And make sure you have your name and number on it as backup.

Also, count when you are body dragging to make sure you stay in the general area of the board. ie body drag 15 seconds left then 15 seconds right. Alan gave me that tip and it has helped many times.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
IslandKiter

Postby goiner » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:45 am

IslandKiter wrote:Quote... A good tip to try is when you crash, immediately start body dragging up wind. That’s where your board is. And make sure you have your name and number on it as backup.

Also, count when you are body dragging to make sure you stay in the general area of the board. ie body drag 15 seconds left then 15 seconds right. Alan gave me that tip and it has helped many times.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

If you are having difficulty body dragging back upwind try to be more active rather than passively dragging.
You can swim with a side stroke at the same time sheeting in and out actively with the bar.
It is an easy way to scoop water with your upwind arm/hand pulling yourself back upwind rather than just dragging. :)
Also kick lightly with your legs. I learned this after three consecutive rescues of my board :oops: by one of my heros; ryan murray.
8-)
KITE
North Neo
North Mono

BOARD
Stringy foil
Protech composites surfboard
North gambler

Live the journey because every destination is a doorway to the next one!
goiner

Postby jeffh » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:40 pm

Pretty light this afternoon and for the sunset session.
The Parks Dept posted a new sign.
shrimpsign.jpg
shrimpsign.jpg (980.41 KiB) Viewed 4299 times

First, they (ghost shrimp) lie in wait for you. Then, when your feet are stuck, they ATTACK!!!
shrimpmonster.jpg
shrimpmonster.jpg (126.34 KiB) Viewed 4299 times

“Mommy, that kiteboarder said there are ghosts out here that will eat me.”
Now Johnny, you can’t believe everything one of those knucklehead kiteboarders says.
Last edited by jeffh on Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
jeffh

Postby jeffh » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:38 am

I think most of us know but just a reminder. The Jetty Island ferry starts today. That means lots of beachgoers through September 7th. Parking will often be packed to the gills on the weekends.
Newbs, please read up on the Kite Beaches section (link in the upper right of this page) about Jetty. Don't be afraid to ask the old hands for tips while you are out there.
Article in the Everett Herald today informing the public.
http://www.heraldnet.com/article/201507 ... on-is-here
jeffh

PreviousNext

Return to General Kiteboarding Discussion