ALL THINGS JETTY

General discussions about kiting in the Pacific Northwest - Seattle, Tacoma, Bellingham, the Puget Sound, and places nearby such as the Gorge, the Coast, and BC

Re: ALL THINGS JETTY

Postby C.J. » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:02 pm

what an awesome day at jetty today!
C.J.
Officer of Bad Ideas, Mayor of Warshentowkneean

Postby PistolPete » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:36 pm

Attachments
Thoughts_About_Jetty_Today-Cowabunga.gif
Thoughts_About_Jetty_Today-Cowabunga.gif (425.36 KiB) Viewed 3775 times
PistolPete

Postby mewing5000 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:56 am

When will this topic see 100,000 views? Were really close now, my guess is before the end of today.
Learn, Love, Live...
mewing5000

Postby mewing5000 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:42 am

Sorry that was a stupid thing to write. Didn't realize how fast the views add up!
Learn, Love, Live...
mewing5000

couple questions

Postby mbevo » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:09 pm

Couple quick questions:
Going to be in Seattle area this Saturday - thinking about hitting the jetty. Forecast so far looks like NW, would I be alright with a 14m and a light wind board?
I have no experience with the ferries, do I have to reserve the ferry in advance? Can you drive on island or do you have to pack up all gear and walk?
Also, just wondering if SUP's allowed in the nearby area too? Friends going to be there but they don't kite.

Thanks in advance!
Z
mbevo

Postby JuliaLieberman » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:10 pm

Hey everyone! Northwest Youth Kiteboarding Association (NYKA) is hosting an event at Jetty on Saturday, June 27th to get the younger generation into kiting. If you have kids-bring them! If you are a kid (i.e. 10-25) come kite and bring your friends! Please rsvp to youthkite.org@gmail.com if you think you can come so we know how much food to get :)
Let's build the stoke!!!
JuliaLieberman

Postby JuliaLieberman » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:12 pm

check out Northwest Youth Kiteboarding Association's video from last year's event, and come check out this year's on Saturday, June 27th!

http://youtu.be/dkevZv19Tzo

see youthkite.org for more details
JuliaLieberman

Re: couple questions

Postby huili88 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:28 pm

mbevo wrote:Couple quick questions:
Going to be in Seattle area this Saturday - thinking about hitting the jetty. Forecast so far looks like NW, would I be alright with a 14m and a light wind board?
I have no experience with the ferries, do I have to reserve the ferry in advance? Can you drive on island or do you have to pack up all gear and walk?
Also, just wondering if SUP's allowed in the nearby area too? Friends going to be there but they don't kite.

Thanks in advance!
Z

Hard to tell this far out, but if the nights stay cool and days get hot with what is currently predicted you will be fine with a 14m and a light wind board.
huili88

Postby jeffh » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:32 am

And Mr. Z, you have to transport yourself to the island of the Jedi (some people pronounce it Jetty).
The ferry (not usually used by kiteboarders) doesn't start running until July 5th. It's a teeny-tiny ferry. Only holds 60 people and there is usually a wait.
Most of us use an inflatable kayak. Some use a SUP. Others a motorboat. A few rappel in by chopper.
Read up on the kite beaches section (upper right link on this page) about the island.
The channel to cross is only a 150 meters or so. But it is deep, cold, and often has a swift current that will go either direction depending on the tide. And at this latitude we usually have 12+ foot tide swings as we will this Saturday.
Be smart. Be safe. Wear your PFD.
jeffh

Postby mbevo » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:14 pm

jeffh wrote:And Mr. Z, you have to transport yourself to the island of the Jedi (some people pronounce it Jetty).
The ferry (not usually used by kiteboarders) doesn't start running until July 5th. It's a teeny-tiny ferry. Only holds 60 people and there is usually a wait.
Most of us use an inflatable kayak. Some use a SUP. Others a motorboat. A few rappel in by chopper.
Read up on the kite beaches section (upper right link on this page) about the island.
The channel to cross is only a 150 meters or so. But it is deep, cold, and often has a swift current that will go either direction depending on the tide. And at this latitude we usually have 12+ foot tide swings as we will this Saturday.
Be smart. Be safe. Wear your PFD.

Thanks for the tips. Gonna try to cross w/ SUP and inflatable Raft. Hopefully it'll be a good day Sat.
mbevo

PreviousNext

Return to General Kiteboarding Discussion