ALL THINGS JETTY

General discussions about kiting in the Pacific Northwest - Seattle, Tacoma, Bellingham, the Puget Sound, and places nearby such as the Gorge, the Coast, and BC

Re: ALL THINGS JETTY

Postby eric » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:04 pm

Joaquin wrote:Just driving through jetty parking lot, on my way to the airport. Super low tide and blowing strong 10m from the NW. One kite out. See you in a couple months jetty, I'll miss you!

j

You only ride a 10m at Jetty, so I always assume it will be 12m instead.
eric
Resident Smartass

Postby janitha_j » Fri May 01, 2015 2:06 pm

Jetty Jetty Jetty

(only an Aussie or Kiwi will likely have the appropriate response)
janitha_j

Postby jason » Fri May 01, 2015 8:27 pm

Oi,oi, oi?
jason

Postby PistolPete » Sat May 02, 2015 8:04 am

JETTY_WIND_DANCE.gif
JETTY_WIND_DANCE.gif (524.9 KiB) Viewed 3646 times

< Jetty >
Last edited by PistolPete on Tue May 05, 2015 10:22 pm, edited 5 times in total.
PistolPete

Postby jeffh » Sat May 02, 2015 8:57 am

We might need to change the name of Jetty Island to Scotch broom Island. I’m not kidding. It is like a jungle. A few years ago at the designated Jetty Cleanup Day (which this year is June 6) many of us volunteered and busied ourselves removing Scotch broom as directed by the rangers. Then the practice/policy stopped. Maybe that wasn’t a good idea.

Anyway, great day kiting yesterday. Maybe another today.
jeffh

Postby huili88 » Sun May 03, 2015 8:02 pm

jeffh wrote:We might need to change the name of Jetty Island to Scotch broom Island. I’m not kidding. It is like a jungle. A few years ago at the designated Jetty Cleanup Day (which this year is June 6) many of us volunteered and busied ourselves removing Scotch broom as directed by the rangers. Then the practice/policy stopped. Maybe that wasn’t a good idea.

Anyway, great day kiting yesterday. Maybe another today.

I thought that was a lot of growth when I was over there last week. It did seem like a different island until you reach the volleyball courts. I thought I was in the plains of the Serengeti.
huili88

Postby eric » Sun May 03, 2015 9:13 pm

jason wrote:Oi,oi, oi?

He said only an Aussie.
eric
Resident Smartass

Postby jeffh » Sat May 09, 2015 9:42 am

I recently checked with the Everett Parks & Recreation people. Scotch broom is still on their hit list – for removal.
June 6th is the official Jetty and Marina Cleanup Day this year. So besides trash, glass and other debris collection, Scotch broom pullers will be needed.
http://portofeverett.net/home/showdocument?id=6458

The Parks department is also happy to arrange for other volunteer days for organizations. For example, Windermere has scheduled a day of volunteering on the 19th of June.

For our PSKite organization, I recommend that we try to attend the June 6th event as we have done in past years. It is only a couple of hours of work and then they usually have a BBQ for volunteers. Usually gift giveaways too.

Yesterday was a great Jetty kite day. Nicely powered on my 14. A minus tide had the usual added challenges of a strong current to paddle the kayak across in, a long walk to/from the water to kite, soft mud to walk through near the waterline, and lots of eelgrass to try to avoid. I have read a few articles that lots of eelgrass is a good thing. It indicates a healthy water environment for salmon, other fish and for ourselves to be in.
jeffh

Postby pdaniels » Sat May 09, 2015 9:51 am

Right on Jeff! I'm planning on being there on June 6 for the Jetty clean up event. Would be great to have a big turnout of pskiters. Yesterday was a great day at Jetty - warm, decent wind blew for hours, stopped kiting with wind left due to being tired, lots of smiles, great views, love it!
pdaniels
Board of Directors

Postby C.J. » Tue May 12, 2015 8:59 pm

some stoke from Sunday.

Hope next time I'm out I can get some better footy of other kiters, you gotta get right up and close to the gopro for it to look good :)

phpBB [video]
C.J.
Officer of Bad Ideas, Mayor of Warshentowkneean

PreviousNext

Return to General Kiteboarding Discussion