3 Tree Point to Whidbey!

General discussions about kiting in the Pacific Northwest - Seattle, Tacoma, Bellingham, the Puget Sound, and places nearby such as the Gorge, the Coast, and BC

Re: 3 Tree Point to Whidbey!

Postby AndyD » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:13 am

I think I have to go with James and "hubris" (yes I had to look it up). If you did indeed leave 3 Tree at 3 pm, there is no way you could have made it north thru the northerly that hit Edmonds at 4:15pm to DB.
AndyD

Postby Jake » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:32 am

aww AndyD why did you have to call me out? Your toataly right! This never happen. And whats reality?

Can some GOD like person move this to the New to Kiting/Safty section? I feel it would be best used there.
Jake

Postby boonie » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:38 am

The adventure sounds fun and I'd be totally down with it if these two things happened:

1. Coast Guard / Fire Department recovered the full cost of the rescue above their normal operational expenses if they were called.

2. If they drown it didn't reflect badly on the kite community - ie, they don't start forcing us to wear PFDs and get accreditation etc, etc.

That way you'd be taking complete personal responsibility and the ability of the rest of us to keep kiting wouldn't be jeopardized. Unfortunately, the second point about the community reaction to drowning probably can't be changed so it will never happen.

As for the first point, if kiters keep using a disproportionate amount of emergency services without a formal agreement, the press / community might pick up on that fact. It's cool for the guys who have already got away with it but with more people joining the sport, the load on emergency services will keep going up and something will have to give.
boonie

Postby Jimbo » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:40 am

The more I think about it I think it comes down to what your threshold is for personal non-necessary risk. I personally have a family and a teenage daughter that count on me. I lost my dad as a kid and also lost my best friend in 1997 who was body surfing at Long Beach. He left behind two young children. There is no way I would ever want that for my kid.

Kiting is risky enough for me. I mitigate my risks by wearing a PFD ($50 life insurance policy) when in the sound or deep water. It keeps me afloat, and is bright yellow and easily visable. I know I look like a kook wearing it (because I am) but it has saved me more than once in the Gorge and at RB. Every one of those times it was a gear failure and I was lucky to have other able kiters around to save my ass and my gear.

I'm not suggesting to anyone not to take risks they are comfortable with and live their lives to their fullest. However if you have kids or family that depend on you...well....consider them too.
Jimbo

Postby bustingbladder » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:15 am

Cool you pulled it off but a really stupid move.

Ya know, there's a reason why I dont try and jump the 520 bridge. Not that it cant be done! And not that I miss pushing myself and taking risks... Not even safety, but the main reason is to not jeopordise the kiteboarding community's image among the rest of the world. This is exactly how over-regulation starts. An incident occures, people of authority are forced to take action and the rest of us suffer the consequences. Jake your a stud but this was not the way to go about it brother! Glad you had fun and it all turned out well! Maybe rethink it a bit next time.

Well said Salmon Slayer! PMCD just doesn't have the same ring to it! :P

Gator
bustingbladder
Racing Committee

Postby mcaseym15 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:02 pm

James Owenby wrote:The more I think about it I think it comes down to what your threshold is for personal non-necessary risk.

This is exactly correct. I have no judgment on people who push the limits (e..g jumping obstacles, etc). I also understand that a fair assessment of one's skills is a part of knowing how far to push it. (e.g. you should be a very experienced kiter with lots of big airs before considering jumping an obstacle.).

However, I do believe that when it comes to long down winders in PUget Sound winters (unlike deciding whether to jump an obstacle or head out into big surf at the coast), a small part of the decision making process is "skill or experience level" and much, much more each person's "individual theshold for taking risk." I have no doubt, I possess similar "skill and experience" levels as those promoting these long journeys on the sound, but I choose not to because my threshold for risk is low. so let's be real honest about it and not couch the decision to go in terms of "I am skilled and experienced" and just say" I am willing to take the risk." But, please keep in mind what Gator says - you may be putting the rest of our freedom to kite at risk too.

Melvin
Unsponsored Kook.
mcaseym15

Postby gotkite » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:12 pm

What a bunch of old farts :lol: :lol:

Exploring the sound is one of the things I enjoy about kiting - JUST KNOW YOUR LIMITS

Hate to tell ya all but kiting is dangerous - maybe you all need a camera :lol: :lol:

PS gator I am calling u out -- like you don't push the limit to the max --- :whip: :violent1:

PSS: just having some fun..... Need wind bad!
Get out and Ride....Allen

Naish
http://www.urbansurf.com
-NAISH KITE BOARDING AMBASSADOR -
Naish -2016 8m 10m HD Parks, 12m strut-less Trips , - 2015 Sroka Foil KiteBoard, Naish -2015 Monarch kiteboard, Alia, Venturi Race - SUP- Naish One
gotkite

Postby bustingbladder » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:30 pm

Allen, what a surprise! :) Out of the depths he has risen! Where you been? Working? :)

Dudes! Jake is one of my all time Padawan's! He's a solid ripper! That's not the deal! No need to go on and on about it really... It was cool he pulled it off and shared the stoke. Respect! But things do go wrong sometimes... Just look at the dude that just got picked up in Saudi. Even with all his prep, he still came out with pie on his face. Im not sure if I'd posted up on PSkite to face the multitudes? :whip:
bustingbladder
Racing Committee

Postby Ghostrider » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:36 pm

Jake you now have rockstar status!!!! This is a extreme sport , way to push yourself to the next level! Glad it was successful. Don't take this as my approval of anyone doing this or me thinking this safe but damn!

IMO this was done at the same risk as the 2008 nuketoberfest. I was there and even with boat support that was way sketchy and something really bad could have happened. Whatever you do keep in mind the rest of the community that is trying to keep beaches open.

Respect! ...nuff said
Ghostrider

Postby quenyaistar » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:46 pm

Conan's smoking hot girlfriend once said, "do you want to live forever"....
2011 Naish Park's 6m, 8m, 10m, 14m
Liquid Force Edge 136
quenyaistar

PreviousNext

Return to General Kiteboarding Discussion