Olympic Format Trials for Kiteboarding

General discussions about kiting in the Pacific Northwest - Seattle, Tacoma, Bellingham, the Puget Sound, and places nearby such as the Gorge, the Coast, and BC

Olympic Format Trials for Kiteboarding

Postby Advance » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:09 am

Here is some footage of the racing during the Olympic format trials over the past few days held in Santander, Spain, along with some shots of riding with Johnny Heineken and Damien Leroy off the spectacular Spanish coast:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA-wo8FWuXI&feature=youtu.be

There was a lot of great racing in different formats alongside olympic class sailing skiffs and multi-hulls, and excellent discussion each day on the ramifications of making kiteboarding an olympic sport.

Everyone who participated feels strongly about this opportunity and believes in the cause. After much discussion with riders from different countries, many believe bringing kiteboarding to the olympics would benefit many aspects of our sport, including protecting launches in many countries where they are threatened and making it a more recognized sport.

Please pass the word and support the cause!

Adam Vance
Member, Canadian Kiteboarding Association
Advance

Re: Olympic Format Trials for Kiteboarding

Postby bustingbladder » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:22 am

Nice work AV! :D
bustingbladder
Racing Committee

Postby stringy » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:19 am

excellent adam!
so I assume lorenzo doesn't protest the kite crash because you were downwind side correct?
I think if I was in this situation I would have preferred to not jump with rider upwind regardless of rules.
stringy
There's a Mount for That

Postby quenyaistar » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:00 am

Cool kite wars moment at the end....a mandatory jump sounds kind of gimmiky is that a normal thing for this kind of racing?
2011 Naish Park's 6m, 8m, 10m, 14m
Liquid Force Edge 136
quenyaistar

Postby eric » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:31 pm

Vance, you are a beast!
eric
Resident Smartass

Postby j.p. » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:13 pm

Nice work AV! :D
Kite Foil Evangelist
Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. – T. S. Eliot
UPWIND LAUNCH OF A SPORT a documentary and my personal favorite stage of the sport.
j.p.

Postby bustingbladder » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:47 pm

Enjoyed the video AV and congratulations on the Contour sponsorship. Your ripping it holmes! :thumbleft:
bustingbladder
Racing Committee

Postby Advance » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:48 pm

hey guys, sorry for not chiming in sooner, been super busy...

Stringy, kite crash was not protested because I was downwind and lorenzo got knocked out of the race...
Quenyaistar, jump was not a gimmick - we ran all sorts of courses, one had a jump just as an experiment.

The trials were pretty amazing - very cool to scrimmage different courses against all the different national riders.
The movement is strong to get it into the olympics and it will def happen, sooner or later. This will benefit our sport and it will drive a lot more enthusiasm and interest in racing. Seattle will very likely develop a fleet of racers, slowly but surely, given we have a strong sailing and racing tradition here.

i'll post up on upcoming racing ops here in Seattle. We can always still race at CYC and i've got some race boeuys and my boat available to lay some marks on lakw WA...

av
Advance

Postby C.J. » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:12 pm

wow I'm surprised that's all it took to explode his kite. You must have been using Tunas razor wire lines.

Eric. Take note for next time you and Nick are playing bumper kites.
C.J.
Officer of Bad Ideas, Mayor of Warshentowkneean

Postby Sick Nick » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:41 am

C.J. wrote:wow I'm surprised that's all it took to explode his kite. You must have been using Tunas razor wire lines.

Eric. Take note for next time you and Nick are playing bumper kites.

Bumper kites is not a game, it's a way of life.

Nice work Adam! Way to represent Team Canada. I really hope if any incarnation of kiting gets into the olympics it is straight up course racing. The olympics should have the fairest format to determine the fastest, smartest, and cleanest "sailor" not some kite demolition derby with mandatory jumps and junk.

Are kiters really so insecure with their image that they need to portray everything as "extreme"? Most probably haven't tried going 30mph downwind on a raceboard....that's pretty extreme if you ask me. Olympics is not the X-games.
Donate to KB4C: http://www.stayclassy.org/straplesssicknick
Nice digs: http://www.northwestriders.com/

<<< Go NEWT or Go Home >>>
Sick Nick

Next

Return to General Kiteboarding Discussion