Hello Northwest kiteboarders and kite racers!
2011 will be a great year for kiteboard racing in the Northwest and Puget Sound region. As a result, Puget Sound Kiteboarding Association (PSKA) is announcing the 2011 PSKA Race Program and NW Race Circuit.
We have a big lineup of race series' this spring, summer and fall 2011 across three local yacht clubs holding regular, weekly races hosted by Corinthian Yacht Club (CYC) this spring and summer, Everett Yacht Club this summer (NW Cabrinha Race Series) - in partnership with Cabrinha & Urban Surf - and the Seattle Yacht Club (SYC) hosting more races this fall, as well as our Canadian neighbors at the Squamish Windsports Society (SWS) hosting the West Coast Open, Canadian National Championships and SWS race series in Squamish BC, Canada.
Building on this multi-series lineup, PSKA has decided to create a kiteboard race circuit format to independently score racers across all races hosted by the separate Washington State yacht clubs, with the goal of establishing a ranking based on cumulative scores for PSKA racers that participate in six races or more during the 2011 season.
PSKA will award prizes for the top three places in the following three classes (independently from the yacht clubs) :Race board:
- 1st place
- 2nd place
- 3rd placeSurfboard:
- 1st place
- 2nd place
- 3rd placeTwin Tip:
- 1st place
- 2nd place
- 3rd place
PSKA prizes (TBD) will be awarded based on racing scores across all races hosted by Puget Sound yacht clubs. Scoring will be based on the best six race results for Puget Sound racers participating in six races or more during the 2011 season. The best results for each racer will be weighted according to the number of participants in each race. (Participation is voluntary - anyone wanting to be scored can let us know at any time in the year, by the championships race this fall) - Andy Koch, a world class race officiator and organizer based in San Francisco, will assist PSKA in establishing these rankings at the end of 2011.
The PSKA kiteboard racing championships will be hosted by Seattle Yacht Club at the end of our 2011 season in October on Lake Washington in Seattle, following the format established by Andy and Adam Koch in Fall 2009. Prizes will be awarded at an awards ceremony following the last race of the season hosted by Seattle Yacht Club.
Here is the race line-up for 2011:1. Corinthian Yacht Club
- following successful 2010 CYC kiteboard races, CYC has invited kiteboarders to again join the the start line with their weekly Sunday/Thursday night race series. More info forthcoming in the CYC newsletter that will be posted to their website. The CYC series will be a race board class only start.
Spring, Summer, Fall CYC race schedule - kiteboard races will be held for race boards wind and weather conditions permitting:
* Weekly this spring every Sunday starting in April: April 3, 24; May 1, 8, 15
* Then beginning every Thursday in May: May 19, 26
* Summer Thursdays: June 2, 9, 16, 23, 30; July 7, 14, 28; August 4, 11,18, 25
* Fall Thursdays: September 1, 8, 15
Entry fee will be $20 per CYC race. Notice of race, pending a good weather forecast, will be confirmed and posted to the the PSkite forum 24hrs in advance. Payment will be made onsite at CYC prior to race. Jerseys will need to be procured by entrants and will not be provided by CYC.2. NW Cabrinha Race Series in conjunction with Urban Surf and the Everett Yacht Club:
* June 25-26 (w/ Jetty Jam)
* July 23-24
* August 13-14
Race board and X classes (twin tip, skim, surfboard)3. Seattle Yacht Club - PSKA championships
* October: Three possible floating weekend dates pending good southerly wind and weather conditions on lake Washington - launch at Magnuson Park
Race board, surf board and twin tip classes
(Adam Vance will not be eligible for PSKA race program prizes or ranking as a PSKA board member.)4. Squamish Windsports Society: West Coast Open / Canadian National Championships
while this event will not be scored by the PSKA ranking, because PSKA is focused on Puget Sound race series', our Canadian cousins in Squamish are part of our broader NW region and race circuit. We hope Squamish kiters will to come race with us, and vice versa we look forward to joining their races too!
* West Coast Open / Canadian National Championships: August 6th-7th
In other news:
Announcing the formation of the Puget Sound Kiteboarding Association Race Committee
PSKA has formed a race committee to replace acting PSKA race chairman Adam Vance - since I will step down from the Board of Directors this year, and because PSKA will be better served by a committee of several members constituted by organizers from each yacht club (and because there is more work than one person can handle!) My role as PSKA race chairman on Puget Sound Kiteboarding association will be replaced by the creation of the following PSkite race committtee:
* Michael Cenname - Seattle Yacht Club
* Darrin Towe - Seattle Yacht Club & Corinthian Yacht Club
* Walter Young - Everett Yacht Club, Cabrinha and Urban Surf
* Adam Vance - PSKA Board of Directors
* Adjunct member: Andy Koch based in SF
I will remain on the PSkite BOD for the remainder of 2011 and as a member of the race committee through 2011. For 2011, the race committee members have been appointed based on their involvement and expertise in kiteboard racing. Our hope is this committee will be replaced by other PSKA members who want to step up and take a role in helping to organize kiteboard racing in 2012.PSKA charter of support and development of kiteboard racing in this region
PSKA hopes that by establishing a Puget Sound race program and NW circuit, we will:
1. Encourage Puget Sound kiteboarders to race and train competitively
2. Continue to place WA state kiteboarders in world rankings
3. Attract world class racers to come and race with us here in the Puget Sound
4. Establish kiteboard racing as a light wind complement to heavier wind kiteboarding and help develop the sport in this region
5. Help build and develop a West Coast kiteboard racing culture that links BC, Washington, Oregon, California and other NW regions - we hope San Francisco, Squamish and Gorge racers will come race with us in Seattle!
6. PSkite wants to promote racing and support the addition of races in this region. We have one of the densest race schedules for any region in the world. If this year's race program is successful, we hope to add more races and develop and extend our rankings to more yacht clubs and series in the Puget Sound.PSkite.org kiteboard racing sub-forum
We are opening a sub forum dedicated to racing news, gear and details so that we have a place to consolidate discussions. Please feel free to signal your interest in participating in the PSKA race program scoring in the sub-forum thread!Kiteboard racing in next Summer Olympics?
The IKA is actively campaigning to get kiteboard racing into the 2016 Summer Olympics in Brazil as a class of Olympic sailing.http://www.internationalkiteboarding.org/images/documents/etc/olympic_campaign.pdf
See you on the water!