Visiting the area

General discussions about kiting in the Pacific Northwest - Seattle, Tacoma, Bellingham, the Puget Sound, and places nearby such as the Gorge, the Coast, and BC

Visiting the area

Postby PL613 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:39 pm

Hey guys!

I am visiting next two weeks (McChord AFB in Lakewood). I was wondering how the Tacoma and Lakewood spots are (as per your map). I'm a twin tip guys still. If I bring my 4/3 wet will I be ok? (I do have a 5 but it's a warm one!). Also you guys do wind call somewhere (Facebook?) I'm not big on ridding alone.

PL613

Re: Visiting the area

Postby Kbrossel » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:35 am

Welcome. You may not find wind close to Tacoma, McCord this time of year. Most areas around Tacoma are better in the Fall and Spring. If you are looking for more predictable wind in the summer you are probably heading to the Gorge- Columbia River- south on I-5 3 hours. Jones Beach is a good call. Check out the NWKite site above. Up north this time of year in Everett there is Jetty Island but this requires some form of water transport , kayak, SUP, for a 5 min. paddle over to the island. There is a ferry but it can be busy, go early. Leaves from the Everett Boat Launch. Winds usually are afternoon, thermals, from the north and less predictable. Good kite community. Could be what you are looking for. Safe beach launch area. Jones Beach is great but river kiting can be different if you are not use to it. Colder water, board goes downstream when lost...
Good link
https://www.heraldnet.com/life/the-rivi ... ns-july-5/
Kbrossel

Re: Visiting the area

Postby saara » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:59 am

We are partying along side AIRUSH for their Demo Day weekend! Many of us have all been waiting a long time for this, so BRING IT with a smile! Entry fee minimum $5 donation - what thats it?!
saara

Return to General Kiteboarding Discussion