Life vest required for paddling over to Jetty?

General discussions about kiting in the Pacific Northwest - Seattle, Tacoma, Bellingham, the Puget Sound, and places nearby such as the Gorge, the Coast, and BC

Life vest required for paddling over to Jetty?

Postby Denisb1986 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:19 am

Hi everyone,

I have already searched for it but haven't found anything recently.
Do you know if a life vest is required for paddling to Jetty in an inflatable kayak? If you take another person with you, does he/ she need a vest too? I have an impact vest for kiting but I guess that might not be accepted.

Thanks!
Denisb1986

Re: Life vest required for paddling over to Jetty?

Postby Kbrossel » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:21 pm

Yes, I believe a life jacket is required. There are some that you can borrow right at the boat launch. Also I think a whistle is also required.
Kbrossel

Postby huili88 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:38 am

Yes, and yes on life vest and whistle. Also if u plan on being there after dark bring a light to attach to kayak. The port authority will ticket u if you are caught without.
huili88

Postby Denisb1986 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:43 am

thanks for the answers - how much is the rental fee for the vest? Given that the ferry will run in two weeks I'm wondering if its worth it to buy one now ...
Denisb1986

Postby Kbrossel » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:10 pm

The life jackets are on loan so I believe no fee. You are going to want to have some form of floating transportation because the ferries get very busy and you will be sitting at the boat launch side watching everyone kiting some day. Also the best wind often seems to be in the late afternoon after the ferry stops running. Best advice, be as self sufficient as possible, boat, inexpensive life jacket if you want to kite regularly. People are most willing to help when needed but be as prepared yourself as possible.
Kbrossel

Postby huili88 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:15 am

If you look at far side of boat launch there is a rack of life jackets, you can just grab one it's free for those who forget. Also if you plan on kiting a lot in the PNW you'll prob want a life jacket. Look at Bellingham paddle/kite they have the liquid force Supreme impact vest for around$100 great deal looks great and provides just enough float to keep ur head out of water. I have 2 of them one for local use and one I store at my vacation spot. It is worth the money for the safety.
huili88

Return to General Kiteboarding Discussion