HydroFoil FoilFish or Hoverglide or something else

General discussions about kiting in the Pacific Northwest - Seattle, Tacoma, Bellingham, the Puget Sound, and places nearby such as the Gorge, the Coast, and BC

HydroFoil FoilFish or Hoverglide or something else

Postby patricklaidlaw » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:01 am

Guys need some suggestions

I started learning to foil and was trying to figure out a few things. I originally took a lesson in florida and was introduced to a slingshot hoverglide at the beginning of last summer. I picked up a foil fish late summer and didn't really like how fast it got on plane. I literally was out of the water before I was ready. This year I rented the hover glide nf2 and did some practicing with the shorter masts from the slingshot flightschool. Made a huge difference in progressing fast over 2 days I went from not being able to plane to being able to plane a good distance out of the water and for few hundred meters at a time.

I'm now wondering if I should invest the 1500 to pickup a nf2 with board or should I just look at changing the low aspect wing to a medium aspect wing on the foilfish. What do you guys think? Or do you have a different suggestion.
patricklaidlaw

Re: HydroFoil FoilFish or Hoverglide or something else

Postby pdaniels » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:13 pm

Hi Patrick!

I'm the local Slingshot beach rep, biased perhaps but I honestly believe the Slingshot Hover Glide (HG) is the best foil available now to learn on. Not just because of the different mast sizes available and the Slingshot foil flight school program, but because of the stability and design of the foil. It is a rock solid foil platform to learn on.

Durable - can take a beating and you will beat it especially while learning. Modular design, you can replace parts if need be at relatively low cost and low hassle factor. Not carbon - heavier, yes a bit heavier than other foils, but turns out to be an advantage for learning to foil. Additional weight makes it more stable and use of non carbon materials makes it lower priced and more durable. Also, I've noticed that HG is less affected by seagrass, seaweed than other lighter foils. Like a tank stable, a benefit for learning and for most people's foiling needs beyond learning. One could outgrow HG specifically for racing or jumping highest on the foil. That extra weight is not a benefit for jumping highest or obtaining the highest speeds possible on foil. Reality, though, is most kiters won't push those limits and HG fits nicely.

I have a HG foil and will have a Ghost Whisper soon. I plan on keeping HG foil in addition to new Ghost Whisper to take advantage of using the 30" mast in shallow water, the durability when I foil in sketchy areas and don't want to blow up my relatively more $$ carbon foil, and just for the fun stable ride the HG gives.

Hit me up if you have any questions or need any help with Slingshot or Ride Engine products.

http://www.slingshotsports.com/Foil

Have fun!

Pat Daniels
pdaniels
Board of Directors

Postby patricklaidlaw » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:28 am

Pat,

Thanks for getting back to me I ended up investing in a HoverGlide before I saw your reply but I have to agree with you on a couple of accounts for the stability.

I also had one other item that really annoyed me with the Foilfish low aspect wing is its just a huge planing surface. I think this is actually a safety issue, when coming out of the water with the big flat low aspect wing it would hit the water and flip out from under me probably 75% of the time. I noticed with the HoverGlide NF2 when i performed the same mistake of leaping out of the water it would submerge back in without flipping out from under me almost every time.

Now I just need to figure out what board i'm going to mount it too. I was thinking of using the foil fish board for now but looking at the Dwarfcraft or ??? somethingelse.

Patrick
patricklaidlaw

Postby pdaniels » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:38 am

Hi Patrick,

I started foiling last year on the Slingshot Dwarf Craft 4'6" and love that foil board. It's a good all around foil board that you won't outgrow.

Dwarf Craft 4'6" is a bit smaller and harder to learn jibes and tacks on compared to the Slingshot Alien Air, 4'8", which is bigger and has more volume than the Dwarf Craft 4'6". But, the Dwarf Craft is a little smaller, easier to handle in the water, in your car, etc.

Alien Air is the board Slingshot positions in the line up to learn to foil on, then some may move to a smaller board as they progress like a Dwarf Craft. That said, most Alien Air owners I've been in touch with are very happy and are not "outgrowing" the board, so they learn and continue to ride on the Alien Air 4'8".

Either way you will be happy! Take your pick.

Cheers,
Pat
pdaniels
Board of Directors

Return to General Kiteboarding Discussion