Kite size for puget sound area

General discussions about kiting in the Pacific Northwest - Seattle, Tacoma, Bellingham, the Puget Sound, and places nearby such as the Gorge, the Coast, and BC

Kite size for puget sound area

Postby karabaralex » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:54 pm

Hi guys,

I'm new in the area and don't have equipment yet. So I need to buy everything, it is pricey so I think I will buy only one size now. Here is my question, which size do you think will be most usable in PS area from wind statistic and your experience? My weight is 150

Second question: I don't want to kite alone, do you have some permanent spots where some people always kiting? Hope it will be a bit more safe

Thank you
karabaralex

Re: Kite size for puget sound area

Postby HotLaunch » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:55 am

Welcome,

At your weight for summer kiting at Jetty Island a 12 meter kite should be about perfect. That should work well for Hydrofoiling on the lighter days too.

Spring, fall and winter kiting varies quite a bit. You could be using anywhere from a 5 meter up to a 9 meter kite depending on conditions. At your weight, I would estimate that 6, 8 and 12 meter would be a decent quiver to get you through most of the year. It also depends on board choice. Are you using a surfboard, twin tip or foil?

Hope this helps.

As for beaches, summer will be Jetty Island, lots of people out there any time there is a breeze. For the rest of the year, Double bluff, Edmonds, Richmond beach, Golden Gardens. Check the kite beaches link at the top of the page to get more detailed info on the specific beaches. Choose a spot that matches your skill level.
Bryan

2013 North 14m Vegas
2015 North 10m Vegas
2014 North 7m Vegas

2014 Blade 9m Trigger
2014 Blade 7m Trigger
2013 Blade 5m Trigger

2011 Cabrinha Caliber 136
2015 Slingshot Screamer 5'4"
2016 North TeamSeries 138

2015 Cloud C.2 12m
2016 Dwarf Craft 42 + Hoverglide
HotLaunch

Postby Kiwi B » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:30 am

Welcome. Are you north sound or South ? Or peninsula?
Kiwi B

Postby karabaralex » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:07 am

HotLaunch wrote:Welcome,

At your weight for summer kiting at Jetty Island a 12 meter kite should be about perfect. That should work well for Hydrofoiling on the lighter days too.

Spring, fall and winter kiting varies quite a bit. You could be using anywhere from a 5 meter up to a 9 meter kite depending on conditions. At your weight, I would estimate that 6, 8 and 12 meter would be a decent quiver to get you through most of the year. It also depends on board choice. Are you using a surfboard, twin tip or foil?

Hi, I'm using twin tip. I prefer to start with one kite of some size. Do you thinks 12 will be most useful on summer?

Kiwi B wrote:Welcome. Are you north sound or South ? Or peninsula?

Thank you! I live in Bellevue, not sure is it north or south sound. Are you driving for a wind everywhere in WA or waiting in your area?
karabaralex

Postby eric » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:03 am

karabaralex wrote:Thank you! I live in Bellevue, not sure is it north or south sound. Are you driving for a wind everywhere in WA or waiting in your area?

Seattle is sort of in the middle of the North and South sound. Tacoma etc is south, bellingham is north.

Lots of driving to kite in the summer (unless you ride a foil). You can ride the lake, but not as much in the summer. Your best bet will be driving up to Jetty island and riding there. You will need some type of conveyance across the channel. SUPs, inflatable Kayaks etc. There is a free ferry, but it doesn't start until July 5th, so you will miss a few months if you can't get yourself across.

There are also some spots further north. IN the top right corner of this forum, there is a link called Kite Beaches. Open that and prepare to spent forever learning all the spots you can kite. most have a good description of when and where.

Welcome and see you on the water!
eric
Resident Smartass

Postby karabaralex » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:39 am

eric wrote:
karabaralex wrote:Welcome and see you on the water!

Thanks for the answer!
One more question - can you suggest any spots (not very far), where always some people riding and good for the newbie (shallow waters) (Not Jetty since I don't have kayak) ? Are you start your kite alone without any help? In school we always had someone who holds kite while you prepare and go on wind
karabaralex

Postby eric » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:52 pm

karabaralex wrote:
eric wrote:
karabaralex wrote:Welcome and see you on the water!

Thanks for the answer!
One more question - can you suggest any spots (not very far), where always some people riding and good for the newbie (shallow waters) (Not Jetty since I don't have kayak) ? Are you start your kite alone without any help? In school we always had someone who holds kite while you prepare and go on wind

I would highly suggest investing in a kayak and get over to Jetty as soon as possible. There are always people there ready to help and there is lots of room which is more forgiving. Otherwise, for shallow water and no kayak needed, I would suggest Locust (on a 7' tide or lower). Lots of shallow water where you can walk out and launch your kite away from stuff.

It is also helpful to be able to self-launch and self land, but Jetty and Locust should have people around to get you up and riding.

Anything in town gets pretty advanced pretty quickly (lots of bystanders, deep water, big current, light winds). You should go check them out, but maybe be prepared to not ride that day. Just talk to the kiters, study their habits and once you feel comfortable, you can ride there.
eric
Resident Smartass

Return to General Kiteboarding Discussion