Beach Access program

General discussions about kiting in the Pacific Northwest - Seattle, Tacoma, Bellingham, the Puget Sound, and places nearby such as the Gorge, the Coast, and BC

Re: Beach Access program

Postby KenM » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:58 am

Meeting in Freeland 6pm tomorrow with Washington State Parks to decide the fate of properties including Useless Bay tidelands as to whether the property should be classified "recreational" or changed to "natural" which would ban activities such as kiteboarding.
http://www.southwhidbeyrecord.com/news/364298681.html
Seems like a no brainier- how can you have a "natural " beach with a hundred houses lined up shoulder to shoulder with boats moored on buoys out in front, but anyone who can should try to make it there- seems like a meeting that could have some long range consequences. 6pm Thursday 1/7 @Whidbey water services 5585 Lotto Ave Freeland
KenM

Postby PinkVoldo » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:18 am

I hope you don't mind but I shared your post with the Urban Surf Facebook page.
eriK S
Urban Surf Shop & Kite School
PinkVoldo

Postby AndyD » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:00 pm

A quick update from parks department in Edmonds from an email I received with regards to potential changes which we gave input on (and yes, Edmonds is choosing to embrace kiteboarder and the $$$ we spend on food and beer locally). Hopefully Whidbey will also recognize the contributions we make to the local economy there as well.

"We will be formally adopting the plan this year when we do the Comprehensive plan amendment. The actual project and redevelopment will not take place probably for 3-5 years, pending grants for the daylighting project."
AndyD

Postby seanbold » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:31 am

Andy,

Thank you for the up-date and continued efforts keeping the kiters going at Edmonds. Sorry for the late reply, I just noticed that you had added to this thread. If you need me for anything to help in this effort, please feel free to give me a call or PM me.

Best regards,

Sean Bold
Beach Rep and PS Kite board member
Sean Bold
PS Kite Board Member and Beach Safety Rep
Core Kitesurfing brand ambassador
Kite and Ski coach at large
seanbold
Board of Directors

Postby evh » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:40 am

Perhaps the State does not have jurisdiction to take use of tidelands away from kiters. In the Illinois Central case the government was found not to have the power to limit use by the public i.e. us. Here is something from the Wiki on the "Common Trust Doctrine":

The ancient laws of the Roman Emperor Justinian held that the sea, the shores of the sea, the air and running water was common to everyone. The seashore, later defined as waters affected by the ebb and flow of the tides could not be appropriated for private use and was open to all. This principle became the law in England as well. In the Magna Carta in England centuries later public rights were further strengthened at the insistence of the nobles that fishing weirs which obstructed free navigation be removed from rivers.

These rights were further strengthened by later laws in England and subsequently became part of the common law of the United States as recognized in Illinois Central Railroad v. Illinois, 146 U.S. 387 (1892). In that case the Illinois Legislature had granted an enormous portion of the Chicago harbor to the Illinois Central Railroad. A subsequent legislature sought to revoke the grant, claiming that original grant should not have been permitted in the first place. The court held that common law public trust doctrine prevented the government from alienating the public right to the lands under navigable waters (except in the case of very small portions of land which would have no effect on free access or navigation).

The public trust applies to both waters influenced by the tides and waters that are navigable in fact. The public trust also applies to the natural resources (mineral or animal) contained in the soil and water over those public trust lands.

Note that this is a US Supreme Court case, so it may not be limited just to Illinois. If this ever gets serious, we need to do some research on this point. The Common Trust Doctrine might also help at other threatened locations.
evh

Postby PinkVoldo » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:02 am

Sean, Andy, Ken, Bonez, and others involved,

Thanks for your efforts that keep the local beaches open to all!
eriK S
Urban Surf Shop & Kite School
PinkVoldo

Postby CarrotHead » Fri May 13, 2016 5:40 pm

I would gladly rep for Golden Gardens. I live in shilshole and am there often.
...|........../..
...|........./...
...|......../....
...|......./.....
...|....../......
...|...../......
...|..../.......
...|.../........
...|../.........
...|./..........
....Y...........
..o\-</,......
........'.'......
.......'..'......
____#____
CarrotHead

Postby Roberto » Mon May 16, 2016 10:01 am

CarrotHead wrote:I would gladly rep for Golden Gardens. I live in shilshole and am there often.

That is wonderful, we contact you directly for the details.

Cheers
Roberto Soza
"Not all those who wander are lost." -J.R.R. Tolkien
Roberto
Board of Directors, PSKite President

Postby AndyD » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:42 am

This has been swirling about for a month or so now, so I'm just kind of confirming it. Kiters are going to need a new mayor (beach rep) for Edmonds. My wife and I will be relocating to Bend in July. CJ, Phillip, Eric, Roger or Merridy are all good candidates.
AndyD

Postby Roberto » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:28 am

Thank you Andy for the heads up and for the time (and passion) supporting Kiteboarding/surfing/foiling as PSKite Beach Rep. There is much to learn from your active involvement in shaping the changes affecting Kiteboarding at Edmonds.

Others are active at Edmonds. CJ, Phillip, Eric, Roger or Merridy all good candidates indeed. One will, hopefully, continue with this much needed role.

Thanks again Andy. Depending where you are moving, you could take the role in the new location. :) ... and idea. :)
Roberto
Board of Directors, PSKite President

PreviousNext

Return to General Kiteboarding Discussion