Vancouver island roadtrip

General discussions about kiting in the Pacific Northwest - Seattle, Tacoma, Bellingham, the Puget Sound, and places nearby such as the Gorge, the Coast, and BC

Vancouver island roadtrip

Postby smattiso » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:53 am

I'm planning a road trip up Vancouver island kiting Squamish, Nitinat, tofino, etc. Anybody interested and/or have local beta?
smattiso

Re: Vancouver island roadtrip

Postby jason » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:59 pm

Merridy has been up to Nitinat a few times, try shooting her a PM.

Squamish is awesome, super steady wind, cold water, on when the sun is shining...but not on Vancouver island.
jason

Postby juandesooka » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:52 am

Canadian interloper here.

For VI info, this website is the best resource: http://www.bigwavedave.ca/
Each of the main spots is listed on the forecast page, tends to be Pred1 is more optimistic, Pred2 is more pessimistic. Assuming you're talking summer, the afternoon thermals are pretty dependable in Victoria (Cook St), Sooke (Gordons), Nitinat, and Squamish. Tofino is a crap shoot, just never know....bring a big kite if you have one! Port Alberni is an interesting thermal spot on the way to Tofino, launch from a dock the local kite association built. (expert only though, downwind has no easy out)

You can click on the Wiki for details on each sailing spot.

Nitinat is a good place to check out....super consistent wind, nice forest camping out in middle of nowhere. Logging road can be a bit rough. Windfest there July10-12, races and big kite party.

Feel free to email me if you want some info closer to the date juandesooka at gmail dot com
juandesooka

Postby jjoyce » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:39 pm

Search PS kite and it delivers!

I am planning a similar trip but later in the season (last 1-2 weeks of september)

are the thermal spots like Squamish & Nitinaht still windy then?

(I’d be going with wife & 18mo old toddler, so i think Nitinaht is probably off the list, unfortunately)

i was going to drive up from Seattle so my hope was that Squamish would still be going on at that time of year as I haven’t been there yet
wife & i had already discussed going all the way out to Tofino somewhat independently of the potential to kite there, though it seems like the wind is less predictable there

i also saw the posts on China Camp near Port Alberni and wondered if that was also only seasonal.

thanks for any pointers
j
jjoyce

Return to General Kiteboarding Discussion