soft board technology

General discussions about kiting in the Pacific Northwest - Seattle, Tacoma, Bellingham, the Puget Sound, and places nearby such as the Gorge, the Coast, and BC

Re: soft board technology

Postby scottnorby » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:29 pm

Thanks for the link.
Thats the direction of the project...yes...
But much stronger, inserts in case you want straps, and more catered to a the needs of a kiter.
Last edited by scottnorby on Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
scottnorby

Postby eric » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:31 pm

Does he have any of these surfboards for demo?
eric
Resident Smartass

Postby C.J. » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:41 pm

I always thought EPS core was hygroscopic. Have I been getting it wrong all these years in terms of the waterproofness of EPS surfboard cores?

How is the weight of one of these flexible boards vs an equivalent shape in epoxy?
C.J.
Officer of Bad Ideas, Mayor of Warshentowkneean

Postby Brian » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:49 pm

Scott, there are a few of us who surf SUP's, and are not happy shelling out 1500-2000 for something we are breaking, and compressing the decks. Has he considered building SUP's for surf, about 7'10" to 8'5" by 30" to 32" wide by 4.5" thick? For our lovely surf, a wide tail like the Naish Mana style. If he can keep the price down, and still performs, then i think he'd have a crowd.
CJ- great questions.
thanks
Brian

Postby scottnorby » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:57 pm

Oh yes sup's are on the list too. Especially for kiting in light winds. Kite drops...no wind?...roll it up ...and paddle in.
scottnorby

Postby RebelRyder » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:58 pm

I'd be game too. I carry my equipment in a small hatchback to get to the various local beaches, and the boards are an item of concern for me if I were involved in a collision--anything not secured or held in place can possibly become a projectile in the car. A softech board with strong inserts for either straps or boots, that offered top-performance on the water, that can effectively edge for turning and riding upwind, and doesn't bob around like a big foam bobber on the water's surface sounds enticing. Demos of some different sized and shaped boards could see good use around here this spring and summer.
LIVING THE REBEL RYDE -- LIFE IS GOOD
RebelRyder

Postby scottnorby » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:05 pm

Never thought of that. Yes...as a projectile its much safer. Realistic situationn too.
scottnorby

Postby scottnorby » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:36 pm

Cj , the weight is similar to an epoxy and lighter than glass boards.
scottnorby

Postby Jimbo » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:30 pm

Interested!!! 5' 8" thruster please.

Be Stoked!!!
Jimbo

Postby scottnorby » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:59 pm

For those of you that chimed in on this post I have some exciting news.
I don't want this to be an industry post so please pm with specific industry questions.

They recently sent me a 5 foot 6 version of the board we have been experimenting with.
I was riding a 5 foot prototype I love---but seemed to small to paddle into a wave on.
And it seemed a little too small for a 200 lb guy to wakesurf on.
The 5 foot board is a LOT of fun to kite with....but we wanted to make a board that could kite, surf, and wakesurf with high performance.

This new 5 foot 6 version has
1. Tri fin ---Futures fin boxes
2. Thickness---it is thicker and the surfers testing it in Laguna (Brooks street local and ex ASP pro surfer Hans Hagen) are saying it is the best of all the shapes so far. I will post a video of them surfing the shape soon.
3. LIGHTweight. Much lighter than they anticipated. Even with a double stringer and Futures fins on it---it is extremely light.
4. Durable---no question that heel dents occur on any board. But the dents don't delaminate and most of the foam explands back out. The board can be punctured like any board. And it is possible that the slick skin could peel up after harsh use. BUT the skins are as easy to glue back down as a deck pad. A little contact cement or gorilla glue and it's back to new.
5. SILENT---hence the name 'Silencer' It is a unique experience to not feel any chatter or vibration from the board. The CLOUDCORE technology of the soft memory foam blank is my favorite feature of the board. It really feels like surfing on a cloud --which any surfer would dream of.
6. THIS IS NOT A SOFT TOP. Those boards have styrofoam cores and they drill holes through the board to pop in flexible fins. The Silencer is a handshaped board. It has a slick skin made of plastics used in making automobile bumpers. Tough stuff.

If you see me at Jetty I will let you ride it so do not be afraid to ask.
I live at Double Bluff so if you see me here then definitely ask to ride it.
We need the feedback.

The Silencer is now in production.
There is a 5 foot and a 5'6 version of the board.
And Seattle kiters will have first shot at the first run of 20 boards we are now shaping.
The boards are HANDSHAPED and laid up in the USA in San Clemente, CA.

I have riden a 9 foot version of a board Tom Morey designed....called the SWIZZLE.
The SWIZZLE is laid up the same as these boards. I own over 20 surfboards and I have ridden this longboard almost exclusively over the last 7 years.
I can go on and on about why I love that board---but the durablity has been remarkable.
I have ridden that longboard exclusively since 2008. I lived in Seaside for 10 years and rode it at the cove 3 days a week.
I have rolled that board up on the rocks and it has many times blown off my truck in high winds. It has scratches....but nothing else.

This is the main reason we started this project. I saw the durability in the swizzle and wondered why it never made it's way into the kiteboarding world.

To answer some of the concerns above
1. It does flex if you stand on it. It does dent if you hit it with a hammer. But it returns to its shape almost immediately if it's an 'average' dent. Any board will dent or break if you try hard enough. But this board is very resilient. Much more than glass.
2. The board is tough. With the exception of the fins like any board. But I have watched this board roll over a 30 yards of driftwood in a windstorm. It bounces and rolls. And I had no damage. Even if it did it would have been a puncture which is an easy hot glue fix.
3. You can put a deck pad on it if you want straps (NSI for example makes a pad with inserts)
4. You can wax it up and surf it on waves, kite with it, or WAKESURF with it (usually with just the center fin but you can experiment)

I will post more photos and videos in another post

Here is a recent -- (edited/updated) video
https://vimeo.com/158859218
Last edited by scottnorby on Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
scottnorby

PreviousNext

Return to General Kiteboarding Discussion