Golfer's Elbow

General discussions about kiting in the Pacific Northwest - Seattle, Tacoma, Bellingham, the Puget Sound, and places nearby such as the Gorge, the Coast, and BC

Golfer's Elbow

Postby Freeride » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:32 pm

I see to have developed a condition over the summer that is continuing to haunt me: Pain on the inside of my elbow on the non-dominant hand (left). A little internet research suggests it's not too unusual of a kiting issue. I found the following suggested stretches that I plan on giving a try: http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php? ... ow#p650361

Just curious if anyone locally has had this condition and cured it, or worked with a good PT on it?
Freeride
Keekopotamus

Re: Golfer's Elbow

Postby srch4wind » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:41 pm

Pt last year for 8 weeks on the left elbow, had it for about 5 months but I was able to kite through it with a bandit brace, and a lot of ice. I think the big kites with a lot of bar pressure were the cause, plus a lot of sessions. This year I got it on the right elbow(probably overcompensating because of the left elbow). I started PT but I wasn't seeing a lot of results, so I switched to very low bar pressure kites. I think my surf kites solved the problem.

Don't expect it to go away quickly. These overuse injuries are hard to fix because of the lack of good blood flow in the elbow. Plus scar tissue forms compounding the problem. Astym therapy breaks down the scar tissue but it takes a while, and is a little uncomfortable. Still, pt and or/exercises are better than just not kiting for a few months.....
srch4wind

Postby huili88 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:59 am

The thing that helped me was getting a workout band (similar to surgical tubing), it doesn't have to have a lot of resistance. I would just do a 10 or 20 curls while I sat and watched TV. Its crazy fighting repetitive motion injury with repetitive motion. Unless the activities you do, uses the same muscles as in kiting, even the very active can fall victim to this. Theory is the reason we hurt from kiting is our bodies are not ready for this type of movement. The muscles may be ready for the abuse, but the tendons and ligaments are not. This is the reason you hear about those roid heads that completely tear their muscles from their attachments. The only way to increase tendon strength is lots of reps of low resistance. Once you are already hurt you are already at a disadvantage. The blood flow to connective tissue is not great so injuries take a while to heal. You just have to take it slow. Once you build a good base maintaining is not bad like I said 10-20 curls a day with light resistance in front of TV and your good. I haven't had it you about 3 years.

Just another tidbit on icing. I was told when it is a tendon/connective issue you should ice and heat alternating every 15-20minutes. Once again it come down to blood flow. The cold drives the blood to the interior while heat draws it closer to surface basically giving flow a little help. This has alway worked well for me in the past.
huili88

Postby ALKIrider » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:11 pm

Had it. SUX. Takes forever to heal. And the cure is the last thing you want to do: not use it and/or use a tennis elbow band.
ALKIrider

Postby Loki » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:17 pm

Identical thread with good ideas.

http://pskite.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8265

In the past, I've had forearm pain and lower back pain brought on by kiting. The forearm pain was a tripcep strain due to lack of tricep strength. The lower back pain was due to being out of shape generally. Ever since I started going to the gym (crossfit), I haven't had any pain issues since.

This looks intriguing (brought up in above thread):
https://powerballs.com/

However, barbell/dumbell exercises will achieve the same thing that gizmo does, but with added benefits.
PSKite Site Admin / Developer
Windhunter Android App Developer
Loki
PSKite Magician

Postby Brian » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:19 pm

Move to kites with no bar pressure. I had it, switched brands, and no issues now. Including large kites. Hurts like hell when pushed hard. Haven't had it since the switch.
Drink more also for lubrication.
Brian

Postby BBQ Jim » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:37 pm

I had bad tennis elbow a few years ago. My kite was setup so that the sweet spot was riding with my arm extended (little depower). I lengthened the back lines one knot so that kite was powered with my elbows bent. I haven't had a problem since then. Also, the kites fly better...

BBQ
BBQ Jim

Postby Freeride » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:47 am

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I started doing the stretch today at work mentioned in the intial link and it really activated the pain, so I'm sure it will help in time. I actually also wondered if it was due to weak tricpes as well.

This came on this year mostly from flying 17m kites...and they seem to have a lot of bar pressure so that all makes sense. What I haven't done is adjust the throw to be closer to me, and I'm somewhat short/short arms, so it would make sense to bring this closer as well.
Freeride
Keekopotamus

Postby therealnelson » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:07 am

Check out "thera band" it's a squishy band you can do rehab for tennis elbow with. It comes in various stiffness <insert joke here> and reviews are good for treatment and prevention of tennis elbow.
http://www.amazon.com/Thera-Band-Flexba ... B00CJOVS7E
therealnelson

Postby KitesofFury » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:29 pm

Yea. I had golfers elbow a couple of years ago and had to go to physical therapy to get it sorted out. Still get it. A big issue is that I always use my mouse with my right hand and this is the arm always effected. Try and switch mouse hands at work. word. Also ride Naish kites as they have low bar pressure (plug, plug :))
"I'll make mine a triple"
UrbanSurf
RovingBox.com http://www.rovingbox.com
Kitesurf App for Android https://market.android.com/details?id=com.rhythmicspark.kib
KitesofFury
KitesofFluffy

Next

Return to General Kiteboarding Discussion