Strapless Kitesurfing 102: The Strapless Air!!

Forum dedicated to tips and tricks for new riders and veterans alike.

Strapless Kitesurfing 102: The Strapless Air!!

Postby Sick Nick » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:58 pm

I got some good footage this weekend, so here's the long awaited Strapless Kitesurfing 102: The Strapless Air instructional video! To see it in stunning HD watch it on the vimeo website!

This episode of Sick Nick's Strapless Kitesurf Series explains the basics of jumping without straps.

The first type of jump to learn is the basic ollie. Keep your kite around 45 degrees throughout the maneuver, and make your foot stance a little wider than usual.

1) Look for a nice piece of chop to use as a launch ramp

2) As you hit the chop with speed, push down hard with your back foot and lift up with your front foot (similar to an ollie on a skateboard).

3) Now that you're airborne turn the board so that the bottom of the board is pointing into the wind. Also try to make the board as vertical as possible (nose up). This will make the wind hold the board to your feet

4) As you start to lose altitude, point your board downwind and spot the landing. Don't fret if the board starts falling from your feet--you can still pull it off if you concentrate on landing back on your board once it hits the water.

During your first attempts it will be a struggle just to get the fins out of the water.

Once you are proficient at the basic ollie, you can change things up by throwing in a grab midair or sending the kite slightly for more air. You need a lot of wind to be able to send the kite back so that the board stays glued to your feet.

For grabs, first try grabbing with your front hand, then once you get those down try some with your backhand.

Remember to do everything the same during a grabbed jump as a regular jump...you still need to position the board into the wind to keep it nearby (hopefully on your feet).
Donate to KB4C: http://www.stayclassy.org/straplesssicknick
Nice digs: http://www.northwestriders.com/

<<< Go NEWT or Go Home >>>
Sick Nick

Re: Strapless Kitesurfing 102: The Strapless Air!!

Postby jason » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:20 pm

Hell Yeah Nick, I want BBQ support from Darcie!
jason

Postby CarrotHead » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:43 pm

Am I the only one that bought a surfboard because of these vids?

Nick, How long would you say one can expect it to take to master the skills in 101 and 102?
...|........../..
...|........./...
...|......../....
...|......./.....
...|....../......
...|...../......
...|..../.......
...|.../........
...|../.........
...|./..........
....Y...........
..o\-</,......
........'.'......
.......'..'......
____#____
CarrotHead

Postby Robert » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:45 am

Have you really gotten BBQ support for every video? If so, that's pretty sweet :)
Robert

Postby Sick Nick » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:40 pm

Robert, now that you live nearby you should come by and get some BBQ support! We do it up real good in our cozy Ballard Locks community.

Eric, if you spent a week in La Ventana riding mostly your surfboard, I bet you'd be able to consistently ride away from gybes by the end. 102 skills take a little longer because you really need a lot of wind to do more than small little jumps. The more you ride the same board the more comfortable you will feel on it --> Steeze = style with ease.
Donate to KB4C: http://www.stayclassy.org/straplesssicknick
Nice digs: http://www.northwestriders.com/

<<< Go NEWT or Go Home >>>
Sick Nick

Postby stringy » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:59 pm

i ride a surfboard now so I can roll with the big dogs bobby and goiner at DB this winter.
get your gybes down now while the water is warm!
Nick your videos help.
keep it up.

stringy
stringy
There's a Mount for That

Postby eric » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:44 pm

dude, you are going so freaking high in these vids. Do you think it was the kites that helped you get that high or just your complete awesomeness that allowed it?
:kite:
eric
Resident Smartass

Postby darcie » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:26 am

personally, I think it was probably due to the bbq support, and miscellaneous support provided. :D
darcie
Board of Directors

Postby Loki » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:03 am

eric wrote:dude, you are going so freaking high in these vids. Do you think it was the kites that helped you get that high or just your complete awesomeness that allowed it?

He was photoshopped.
PSKite Site Admin / Developer
Windhunter Android App Developer
Loki
PSKite Magician

Postby stringy » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:06 pm

nick you are sick!
I watched this and felt inspired to go try some strapless airs. maybe not quite as big as yours, but felt great to ollie off the chop.
got a little heel dent from all the excitement this morning. but thanks again for your contributions. feeling stoked.
stringy
There's a Mount for That

Next

Return to Tips and Tricks