Page 3 of 5

Re: tip of the day!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:49 am
by stephensibborn
Well today a few tips on recovering someone board and a big tip to the one that is having a board recovered. Helping someone by recovering their board can be a big help, and if your the one that the board is being recovered for , you can help by getting out of the way and not being straight downwind , allowing the retreving rider some room to manuever their kite .There are many different ways to achieve recovery . First , just stop slightly upwind with your kite at noon and sink in to a water start position. Put the board on your thighs and just rock your kite back and forth and slowly work your way downwind till you get just downwind of the board less rider , let the board go or push it toward them and off you go . A more advance version would include water starting then dropping the board or stopping and dropping. Most advanced , is picking the board up while riding. Easiest way , is to ride up to the board just downwind , slowdown a little and grab the board and continue riding , tips for grabbing a board include flipping it over so the straps are up , then coming back to pick the board up , I find it much easier to grab the front footstrap rather than a handle in middle of the board , as lifting the front foot strap will ease surface tension and have less chance of digging in and catching and edge . I find it much easier to ride with the board in my forward hand, so if you turn around to return back , I switch the board to my other hand after the turn after the turn . Ride down wind of the rider in the water and drop it off downwind of them . You likely get a big thanks ! Hope that helps , and let's remember to keep an eye out for others and help where you can. Now time to get my work done so I can ride soon.

Re: tip of the day!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:11 pm
by j.p.
stephensibborn wrote:Well today a few tips on recovering someone board and a big tip to the one that is having a board recovered. Helping someone by recovering their board can be a big help, and if your the one that the board is being recovered for , you can help by getting out of the way and not being straight downwind , allowing the retreving rider some room to manuever their kite .


I find it helps immensely if the capsized rider has his kite low to one side and not parked at noon.

Re: tip of the day!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:31 am
by stephensibborn
Bring your gear today!

Re: tip of the day!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:55 am
by stephensibborn
Head down to Magnusson park , help clean up the launch and ask the seasoned veterans about any thing. They will surely have some tips. Especially about launching at that tricky spot ! Hope to see you there!

Re: tip of the day!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:10 am
by stephensibborn
I'll be on the 12 or 12:30 ferry to db if the wind readings look good! Check useless bay , mutiny bay sensors , see you out there!

Re: tip of the day!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:31 pm
by goiner
1. Gear tip for repair lines:
I tend to buy at Fisheries supply for the depower gray line f and the red/blue fifth line replacements. Saves some money.
This is for north gear.
If you have trouble changing out the depower gray line...use blue tape on the line ends then cut the amsteel. Don't try to heat it.
I use candle wax on the blue tape to make it slip through the necessary tight slots easier.
Use a figure eight knot where the commercial line is stiched in a loop.

2. Commonly known but frequently not done after one launches a kite is to keep kite low n go.
We all know this and it becomes more critical in gusty punchy winter conditions.

3. The first few days after heavy fall rains and flooding rivers brings lots of wood into the waters.
Just pay attention so you don't lose an expensive fin.

Great thread. Sure to be a hit and probably should be a sticky note at top for quick looks.

Bob

Re: tip of the day!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:17 am
by stephensibborn
So yesterday at db , someone asked me about flying big kites there. The winds had been blowing strong 10m even 7m for a few, then it backed off! Someone asked about putting up a 15m , my tip was, you can but be very aware of the possibility that the wind could ramp up very quickly again and to keep a good watch at thewhitecaps far upwind . This is a good reminder to do this all the time during our storm winds as conditions can change very rapidly , especially as sky conditions change ie . A big clearing or very dark cloud/ rain. Use extra caution in choosing your kite of choice! Have fun chasing the storms!

Re: tip of the day!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:09 am
by Freeride
stephensibborn wrote:So yesterday at db , someone asked me about flying big kites there. The winds had been blowing strong 10m even 7m for a few, then it backed off! Someone asked about putting up a 15m , my tip was, you can but be very aware of the possibility that the wind could ramp up very quickly again and to keep a good watch at thewhitecaps far upwind . This is a good reminder to do this all the time during our storm winds as conditions can change very rapidly , especially as sky conditions change ie . A big clearing or very dark cloud/ rain. Use extra caution in choosing your kite of choice! Have fun chasing the storms!


Good tip...my 17 is in storage until late next Spring. All I'm thinking for southerlies is 12, 9, 7.

Re: tip of the day!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:41 am
by IslandKiter
Alan gave me a good tip that goes along with the squall/gust situations that happen this time of year.
I am repeating his tip. When you find yourself super overpowered during a big gust, sit down in the water and fly your kite at the very edge of the wind window with the tip of the kite just about touching the water. Just hold it there, sitting in the water, with your board pushing against the water and wait for the gust to go by.

We had super gusty conditions last weekend at LW.

I would add to this - if you are thinking about coming into the beach due to a squall coming - make sure to get in well ahead of it.
When in doubt, stay off the beach and do the tip above in the water.

You don't want to find yourself on land with the kite in the air when that gust hits.
Belfair is particularly problematic. I found myself having to be held down by fellow kiters because I was trying to make that walk to the landing zone when one of those big squalls hit. The smarter thing to do is to stay in the water until it passes. Pull the release if you have to.

Re: tip of the day!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:26 pm
by goiner
IslandKiter wrote:
Belfair is particularly problematic. I found myself having to be held down by fellow kiters because I was trying to make that walk to the landing zone when one of those big squalls hit. The smarter thing to do is to stay in the water until it passes. Pull the release if you have to.


Another point about Belfair is that the grass is very slippery.
Try to stay on the gravel path for traction.
Last year I saw three incidents in one day of people getting drug (dragged) after a slippery launch.
Bob