2012 Canadian Nationals Kiteboard Course Racing

Information on local Puget Sound Racing Series and Events.

2012 Canadian Nationals Kiteboard Course Racing

Postby MLeng » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:03 pm

Lots of support from our Sponsors...Thanks
Attachments
2012 West Coast Open Poster 6.jpg
2012 West Coast Open Poster 6.jpg (143.47 KiB) Viewed 5158 times
Last edited by MLeng on Fri May 18, 2012 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
MLeng

Re: 2012 Canadian Nationals Kiteboard Course Racing

Postby MLeng » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:03 pm

Squamish Windsports Society Announces Dates and Sponsorship for
2012 West Coast Open and
Canadian Kiteboarding National Championships

For Immediate Release April 5, 2012

Squamish, BC--The Squamish Windsports Society (SWS) have confirmed the dates and sponsorship for the 2012 West Coast Open and CKA Canadian Kiteboarding Course Racing National Championships.

This years’ event will be held August 4, 5 and 6, 2012 at the Windsports spit in Squamish, BC, Canada. The title sponsor will be Pacific Pilsner, from Pacific Western Brewery, who return for their second year of support.

The SWS is also pleased to announce that Cabrinha and Ozone are supporting the event. Their support is helping to build the event and ensure continued success.

“We’re thrilled that Pacific Pilsner is back for a second year of enthusiastic and generous support of this important national event,” said Mark Leng, one of two Race Directors for this years’ competition.

“We are holding this event in one of the most beautiful settings in the country in Squamish’s Howe Sound. With the reliable thermal winds, we look forward to some great racing” said Don Campbell, who is also Race Director.

Squamish Windsports Society invites all national and international competitors to register for what promises to be an exciting and important event. The Canadian standings from this event will determine the Canadian Kiteboarding Association course racing rankings and titles for 2012. The event will include IKA points for Course Racing rankings.

Course racing is scheduled to run all three days of the BC Day long weekend: Saturday through Monday. All Course Racing competitors will be racing together in the Open Class division. There will also be sub-rankings for Canadian Males and Canadian Females.

Competitors will be able to register online beginning in May, 2012. Registration fees will include a Saturday Dinner event. Further registration information and the Notice of Race will be posted online on the Squamish Windsports Society Events website.

SCHEDULE
Saturday, August 4th
9:00 – 10:00 Late Registration
10:00 – 11:00 Skippers Meeting at the Spit

12:00 – 17:00 Course Racing at the Spit
21:00 Riders dinner and social event (venue tbd)

Sunday, August 5th

12:00 – 17:00 Course Racing at the Spit
21:00 Party at the Spit

Monday, August 6th

12:00 – 16:00 Course Racing at the Spit
18:00 - Awards Ceremony at the Spit

ACCOMMODATION: - Accommodation options can be found at http://www.tourismsquamish.com/lodging/hotels. Car-camping at the Spit is permitted at no charge. No tent camping is permitted. Howe Sound is an environmentally sensitive area, home to diverse aquatic and wildlife – please be respectful and use waste and sanitary facilities provided.

CONTACT: For further information or media registration, please contact the Race Directors: Mark Leng or Don Campbell (SWS.racing@gmail.com), or visit the Squamish Windsports Society events website at http://www.squamishwindsports.com/events/events.php
MLeng

Postby j.p. » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:03 am

What are the chances that this years Canadian Nationals will see Canadians from the other provinces?

Having attended the last 2 years Canadian Championship supporting a friend, I clear saw where this was only the best of BC
(a generous term, best of the Squamish crew IS accurate) which is IMHO a far cry from a true Canadian champ. :ugeek:
Kite Foil Evangelist
Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. – T. S. Eliot
UPWIND LAUNCH OF A SPORT a documentary and my personal favorite stage of the sport.
j.p.

Postby kyle » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:31 pm

there have been racers from Ontario in the past (including 2 last year), but yeah - it would be cool to get riders from other parts of Canada.
The problem is though that there doesn't seem to be many/any. trust me, we've tried searching.

I think there might be a couple more this year though from the sounds of it, but there just isn't really a racing scene elsewhere in Canada to promote the concept. I wish there were. I know we are all doing our best to encourage it.
kyle

Postby BrianT » Sun May 13, 2012 2:52 pm

funny thing calling it a canadian national with only the races being held in BC laugh out loud
your right mostly the local squamish race crew shows up.....
but hey it looks good on their race profiles 1st place canadian champ ( out of a whole 14 riders woooooooo) lol
AKA mossman
Team BKB
Ocean Rodeo
Hyperflex
BrianT

Postby kyle » Mon May 14, 2012 2:42 pm

Brian,
feel free to come out and race.
kyle

Postby BrianT » Mon May 14, 2012 3:58 pm

can't be bothered
did my 10 yrs of racing , world cup Grundig, Canada cup ( canadian nationals - where you actually travel from east coast to west coast) provincial cup and norba series races through out the USA...

thats why i have a laugh at the so called Canadian national kiteboard races - it should be called British Columbia kiteboard race series - i think thats the point of it unless of course you have races across canada then id shut my mouth ..maybe get the chicken loop involved

anyways .....
Last edited by BrianT on Mon May 14, 2012 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AKA mossman
Team BKB
Ocean Rodeo
Hyperflex
BrianT

Postby kyle » Mon May 14, 2012 4:16 pm

Anyways...

For those who are actually interested in racing,
registration opens for this event tomorrow (May 15th).

The event has been capped at 35 spots (I think for launching/landing space), and I know the CKA has had about as many inquiries from across the country this year, now with the Olympic inclusion. I would suggest that anyone interested in competing register ASAP to secure a spot, as I will be doing.

BTW> I'm not an event organizer, so I don't have any more info other than what is posted online.
kyle

Postby MLeng » Fri May 18, 2012 6:47 am

Hey, if you have any questions about the event, I might be able to help.

Hope to see more Seattle and Bellingham racers at our summer race series (starts June 3) and at the West Coast Open.

You can reach me at
sws.racing@gmail.com

http://www.squamishwindsports.com/events/events.php
MLeng

Postby zephyrkite » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:06 pm

Hi there,

My name is Jacki and I'm from Halifax, NS but living in Florida at the moment. During my hike from the south back to the great white north to compete in the Canadian Nationals my raceboard did not make it therefore I'm looking for a complete backup production board. Adam Vance was ever so kind as to lend me his board but it is in Seattle at the moment finless. I'm currently in Vancouver en route to the Nationals, hoping that someone would be able to take Adam's raceboard up to Vancouver for me.

Also, I was told to ask John Penxa if he could let me use the race tri fins for this board but I'm not sure how to relay the message to him. My mobile number is 561-767-2154.

I would be greatly thankful to anyone who could help me.

Windy regards,

Jacki
zephyrkite

Next

Return to Kiteboard Racing